Volleyball prepares for opening weekend in Green Bay

The Central Michigan volleyball team faces off in their season opener this weekend starting Friday in Green Bay, Wis. The team will begin play against Auburn, by Green Bay and Drake in the Green Bay/Country Inn & Suites Tournament

This weekend will be a good opportunity to see how the Chippewas will shape up this season.

Head coach Erik Olson and his team are very confident and aggressive, showing their swag as they enter the weekend, especially against a good Tiger’s team.

“In a perfect world, we wouldn’t be playing Auburn first, but it’s something you can’t control," Olson said. “It will be a good test for our team.”

The Chippewas will face Auburn their first match of the tournament.

“We’re not worried about who we play; it depends on how we're going to play,” junior setter, Kelly Maxwell said.

Olson said he considers Auburn to be an up incoming program that has been working on improving.

The big player for Auburn’s front row this year will be outside hitter Sarah Bullock, who was second in team hitting percentage last year.

“We haven’t watched much film on her, but we know they lost a huge attacker last year,” Olson said.

Following Auburn, CMU will challenge Green-Bay and Drake. Both teams have an equal opportunity to put up a good fight against CMU.

Green-Bay went 11-18 last season and only graduated one senior.

Finishing up the tournament, CMU will face a very young Drake team - the final game before CMU heads back home and prepares to face No. 23 Michigan on Aug. 31 in Ann Arbor for the Adidas/ Michigan Challenge.