Volleyball will play tougher schedule, more home games this season

The Chippewas ended their season last year with a stellar finale, finishing with a 19-14 overall record and taking home the Mid-American Conference title.

Head coach Erik Olson has managed to put together another strong lineup this year for the Central Michigan volleyball team in hopes of preparing them for another long run in the postseason.

“Every year coach (Olson) schedules a tougher schedule so we can compete with the higher level teams,” said Samantha Brawley, senior defensive specialist. “We need to play those kinds of people because it helps our confidence.”

Along with a stronger schedule, the Chippewas tack on a few more home games this year, with hopes of having a home court advantage.

“It's nice to get in front of Mount Pleasant a little more this year and I think it's critical to have both (home games) before our MAC schedule to set the tone,” Olson said.

CMU start off their season in Green Bay, Wis. with games against Green Bay, Auburn and Drake.

“I don't think opening weekend is a cakewalk at all, we should come out of that weekend with a good record, but we're going to have to be playing well and be healthy. Auburn is the leader out of that group, while Drake and Green Bay are very MAC-like,” Olson said.

Following their opening tournament, CMU will face No. 22 Michigan at Cliff Keen Arena in Ann Arbor. The Chippewas will also face the University of Maryland Baltimore County and Arkansas in the Adidas/Michigan Challenge.

“Michigan is going to be a tough tournament. It's their home opener, so they're giving us some respect there that they want to have a packed crowd,” Olson said. “Arkansas is up and down, so hopefully we catch them when they're down.”

CMU will begin two months of conference play Sept. 21 at home against Northern Illinois – a good test to see how they shape up in the MAC.

The team will attempt to defend its Mac Tournament title Nov. 16-18 at SPIRE Sports Complex in Geneva, Ohio.

Following the tournament, Olson and the Chippewas will look to leave their mark in Florida. The Chippewas will play Central Florida before they head south to play Southern Florida.

“Florida will be really fun because it's during Thanksgiving and it's after our regular season and MAC Championship and being a senior it could be the last time I get to play with everyone,” Brawley said.

Olson and his team hope that the journey doesn’t end in Florida and they will make a run in the NCAA tournament.