Eric Fisher uses CMU pro day to impress NFL scouts again

a1-fisher-copy
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Senior offensive linemen Eric Fisher attempts to block Akron defensive linemen Alfonso Horner as senior quarterback Ryan Radcliff attempts a pass during Saturday's game against the Akron Zips. The Chippewas won the game 35-14.

Central Michigan head coach Dan Enos could not have put it any simpler when describing left tackle Eric Fisher at CMU pro day on Monday.

“He’s pretty impressive,” Enos said with a smile, talking to reporters after the event.

Fisher didn’t run a 40-yard dash nor participate in other tests, but he did participate in position drills in front of 26 NFL teams.

“I was happy with my combine results, so I just did the O-line drills today,” Fisher said. “I thought they (the position drills) went very well.  It was a good day.”

The 6-foot-7, 305-pound tackle continues to surge up NFL draft boards, now projected to be chosen No. 2 overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to the latest mock draft by ESPN’s Mel Kiper.

After the drills, Fisher met privately with offensive line coaches for the Jaguars and Pittsburgh Steelers, who pick 17th.

“We’re not surprised at all,” Enos said. "We saw Fish a few years ago, and we saw a really big, lean guy that could run, and our thing was, we said if he could ever get to 300 pounds and maintain it, he’ll have a chance to be as good and go as high as he wants to go.

“I’ve told pro people this: I think his best days are yet to come. He didn’t redshirt. I think he played tight end in high school (until his senior year), hasn’t been an offensive lineman for very long, either. I think his best days are ahead of him. I think whoever gets him is not only going to get a great person, but they’re going to get a guy who’s going to get better and better and better as the years go on.”

Fisher is also expected to go through a private workout with the Kansas City Chiefs along with other teams later this month. The Chiefs also have private workouts scheduled with Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel and Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson, the other top-ranked tackles in the draft.

“It’s been pretty hectic,” Fisher said. “It’s been a great process, though.  My schedule constantly keeps getting busier and busier.  But this has been my dream, and I’m really looking forward to getting drafted in April.”

Despite the attention he has received in recent months, Fisher said it has been a humbling process, and he will not change who he is no matter what happens in the upcoming weeks.

“Why would I change who I am because of something I am going through,” he said. “I’m always going to be the person I was and will always remember where I came from. When you start changing is when things will start to catch up with you.”