Isabella County, Red Cross partner for spring fashion show

cm-redcrossfashionweb
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Mount Pleasant residents Dorine Lilly, left, and Sandy Falsetta, right, model clothing Tuesday evening for Trillium Fine Clothing, 123 E. Broadway St. for the Red Cross Fashion Show. The event was held in the Bovee UC to help raise money for the Red Cross.

More than 100 people filled the Bovee University Center Rotunda in style Tuesday night.

Isabella County and the Central Michigan chapter of the American Red Cross held their annual spring fashion show with help from more than 20 sponsors. This year's the event has had one of its biggest turnouts yet.

“We try to draw in sponsorship and participation from the community,” Bonnie Hayward, chairperson of the committee that helped put on this event, said. “… We take the proceeds from the community to give back to those in need who come to the Red Cross.”

The event is put on not only by committee members, but also by volunteers and Central Michigan University students. Auburn Hills senior Witney Withers helped prepare for this event with other girls for one of her classes.

“We got assigned to this in January, but we’ve been having meetings, preparing for this basically since the day we started,” Withers said. “It’s really cool to see it come into form.”

Deborah Birkam, executive director of the CMU chapter of the Red Cross, said she enjoys working with the students because they don’t let her down.

“They’re all doing a great job,” Birkam said. “And it’s very important I think for Mount Pleasant and CMU to knit together, because, sometimes, they operate separately, and this is a wonderful time for everyone to come together.”

Mount Pleasant resident Dorine Lilly attends the event every year and was asked to model in the fashion show.

“I’ll have fun and ham it up because that’s what will make it interesting,” Lilly said. “I know a lot of people that will be here, so they’ll be laughing, and we’ll have a good time.”

During the show, models sported clothing and accessories from multiple Mount Pleasant retailers including Ace of Diamonds, Aphrodite Boutique and Trillium Fine Clothing.

With a variety of attire, there was something for all women. One standout look was a white dress from Trillium with hot pink polka dot prints partnered with a hot-pink scarf and black heels. Other trendy items included colorful sunhats, stretchy pants and sundresses with belts.

“It’s gotten bigger and better as the years have gone by, and I’m very proud for the Red Cross and very appreciative of the ladies who took it on and continue to see that is stays alive,” CMU's first lady Elizabeth Ross said.