Field hockey drops two this weekend against pair of top-10 teams

With a rough start to the weekend, things got tougher for the field hockey team as it finished the weekend winless, dropping to 2-4.

The Chippewas fell to No. 10 Stanford 1-0 Saturday afternoon. The sole goal came 10 minutes into the second half .

Sophomore goalkeeper Sadie Reynolds was stellar in the net despite giving up the goal, saving 14 goals before allowing the single goal to slip through.

Offensively, the team was only allowed two shots on goal on the Cardinal, both of which came in the first half.

Friday was a different story for the defense.

CMU added to its two-game losing streak coming into the weekend by falling to No. 8 Iowa Friday afternoon.

This loss wasn't close, as No. 8 Iowa blew the Chippewas out 7-1.

The game started out in CMU's favor, as junior forward Cayleigh Immelman scored the first goal of the game 10:23 into the first half.

The Hawkeyes made sure that was the only goal that would be scored, allowing the Chippewas only three shots on goal and four penalty corners for the remainder of the match.

After two goals in the first half, the Hawkeyes went on a scoring tangent in the second half, scoring five goals to finish off CMU 7-1.

The Chippewas started off the season going 2-0 at home against Robert Morris, 2-0, and St. Louis, 6-1.

Since then, they have been outscored 15-5 in losses against Deleware, Lafayette, Iowa and Stanford and have dropped from first  in the Mid-American Conference to fifth out of six.

CMU looks to bounce back at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday next weekend in Orono, Maine against New Hampshire and Maine.