Veteran Schuette shows resiliency over weekend for volleyball

CMU saw a career-best performance from skilled veteran Katie Schuette on Thursday night in its sweep of Eastern Michigan.

The fifth-year outside hitter and middle blocker was part of a relentless Chippewas attack, keeping them in the lead for most of the night against the Eagles.

Schuette finished the evening with a match-high total of 12 kills and 12 digs, helping her team secure an important win against a conference foe. After dropping its previous three matches, the team needed a sign of life to keep its conference season from getting away, and Schuette gave that to her team in Ypsilanti.

“We had a great outside match tonight,” head coach Erik Olson said following Thursday's win. “I thought Katie Schuette was phenomenal, and we really passed the ball around well."

She wasn't as involved in Saturday night's loss at home against Kent State.

She went on to record five kills and six digs for CMU during the sweep.

"We passed a lot better Thursday night," Olson said.

Early on this season, Schuette was not seen on the court all that often. Recently, the graduate student has found herself in a different role for the Chippewas, patrolling the court, digging out and blocking those tough balls throughout the entire match.  This was especially the case against EMU on Thursday.

A native of Grand Blanc, Schuette missed all of the 2012 season due to injury.

She was granted a fifth year of eligibility and is making the most of opportunities that comes her way this season.  Whether it is on the outside or the middle of the court, Schuette shows her veteran leadership that Olson has had the ability to coach for a better part of four seasons.

The Chippewas, so far, have a lineup that shuffles frequently. Schuette is proof of this working for CMU, as she is expected to be a staple in the lineup for the rest of her final season.

CMU's next match is scheduled for Friday night at Miami (Ohio).