COLUMN: Moore Hall needs a facelift

a4-elevatorcolumn

After having at least one class every semester in Moore Hall for the past four years, I have realized that it is one of the worst academic buildings on campus.

Moore Hall is a drab and unattractive place where students feel uncomfortable and uninterested. The walls look like a prison, there is no study area or place to get legitimate food, and the desks are not practical.

Not to mention the fact that blackboards and chalk are still on the walls in most classrooms.

In addition to there still being unused chalkboards instead of some paint on the walls, I would sometimes rather take the stairs than go on the sketchy elevators. The lack of up-to-date technology in the building is astounding.

When I walk into other buildings on campus, I'm more motivated and actually feel proud about going to school at Central Michigan University. There is a more modern ambiance and useful amenities inside them. This same feeling does not happen when I walk into Moore.

I will say however, that the fourth floor, which houses the journalism teacher's offices, Central Michigan Life and department office, does look pretty nice. Even though the grey and white walls remain in the hallway,  four plasma screens and a seating area are right outside a journalism computer lab with modern chairs and Apple computers lining the walls.

I'm not asking for Moore to look like the Education and Human Services Building, but they can at least create a more inviting environment where students actually enjoy being. Moore is lagging far behind other buildings on campus, and it would be nice to see an Anspach-like renovation occur.

If the technological updates are too costly for the university, then at least they can update the visual aesthetics of the building. Maroon and gold paint on the walls or new tile flooring would be easy updates and should have been done years ago.

A renovation would be beneficial to the number of students studying communication, BCA and journalism who use this building every day. The university would be wise to make this a part of its larger campus master plan.

Even though I'm adamant about a Moore Hall facelift, should it happen, I realize that I probably will not be able to enjoy it as much as I would like to, in part, because I'm a senior.

Too little, too late.