Thought to be out for the season, CMU RB Zurlon Tipton unexpectedly returns

tiptonslider
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Running Back senior Zurlon Tipton points to the sky before kickoff at Scheumann Stadium Wednesday night.

MUNCIE, Ind. -- Ugly it was, but Central Michigan got a sliver of hope Wednesday in the unexpected return of senior tailback Zurlon Tipton.

Thought to be out for the remainder of the season after breaking his ankle in the season opener at Michigan, Tipton appeared on the field at Scheumann Stadium prior to CMU's 44-24 loss to Ball State in full uniform and pads. Dan Enos called a pass play to junior receiver Titus Davis on the first play from scrimmage, and followed up with a carry that went nowhere from junior Saylor Lavallii.

Then Tipton entered the game and took his first carry since he collapsed in pain at Michigan Stadium in late August.

RELATED: Injured RB Zurlon Tipton walking around after ankle surgery, football future remains up in the air

"This had been a target date for him, and we didn't know if it would happen or not," head coach Dan Enos said. "But it was something that he talked about. He's an amazing person who's kind of willed himself to be back, really."

The preseason Doak Walker and Maxwell Awards watch list candidate only rushed five times for 8 yards, his quick agility still a step behind, but was able to scamper into the end zone to score CMU's first touchdown of the game, making the score 34-10 Ball State, with 6:49 left in the third quarter.

Afterward, he jumped into the outstretched arms of junior left guard Andy Phillips. It was a moment of celebration in a game without many highlights.

"He looked pretty good," Enos said. "I would have liked to see him if he got some room. We didn't want to overdo him and ease him back. We wanted to get him going in this game just so we could get him ready for these last three."

Junior receiver Titus Davis, who caught nine passes for 187 yards and a touchdown, said he didn't expect him to play again this season. But having him lineup behind redshirt freshman Cooper Rush provides an extra level of comfort.

The Chippewas (3-6, 2-3 MAC) rushed for 113 yards, with redshirt freshman Maurice Shoemaker-Gilmore leading the way with 68 yards. Sophomore Saylor Lavallii was held quiet, rushing for 20 yards on nine carries.

"Having (Zurlon) in the backfield is always a big plus for us," Davis said. "He's just so explosive, to have him there makes our job easier. His presence is great."

Senior safety Avery Cunningham said Tipton, who rushed for 1,492 yards and accounted for 20 touchdowns last season, was still playing with lingering effects from his injury. Enos said Tipton was likely less than 100 percent but insisted on playing anyway.

"He's just a different kind of guy," Cunningham said. "You don't see people like that. He wants to play, and this is why. I give him a lot of credit. He's a tough guy."

CMU did not make Tipton available after the game.

Contact Aaron McMann: aaron.mcmann@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @AaronMcMann.