Weekend full of CMU sports sparks excitement

If you’re a fan of Central Michigan sports, this past weekend was a good one for you.

The two major programs that make the money for CMU were on display: Men’s basketball hosted the first Central Michigan Tournament from Thursday to Saturday, and football hosted UMass on a snowy Saturday afternoon.

Both programs showed signs of improvement. Men’s basketball won two out of three games, although the men’s basketball team might not win more than 15 games this season, that doesn’t mean they won't be fun to watch. Head coach Keno Davis wants this team to run. A lot.

Full court pressure, athletic drives to the basket and three pointers from just about anywhere showcases this team’s talent.

What’s even more exciting is that you can’t guess who will be the leading scorer every game.

This team has six to seven players who can score 15-20 points any game without warning. We found that out when 5-foot-9-inch freshman Braylon Rayson had his coming out party against Austin Peay.

His confidence is second to none, and his lightning quick moves makes him a blast to watch.

Under the leadership of Davis and sophomore Chris Fowler, who is mature beyond his age, this team will be surprisingly fun to watch this year.

Football picked up another win against UMass.

For all 20 of you who came to the game, it was actually quite the blowout for CMU.

Wide receiver Titus Davis had a special day. He surpassed the 1,000 yard mark in career receiving yards. Davis made catch after catch deep down the field. He is exciting to watch and will be missed.

Quarterback Cooper Rush, for the first time, didn’t throw an interception since his first start against New Hampshire.

The win puts CMU closer to earning a bowl bid for the second straight year under head coach Dan Enos.

I know most CMU fans aren’t happy with 6-6 finishes, but it could be much, much worse. Bowl games aren’t as hard to come by as they once were, but still making them is a special achievement that isn’t easy to do.

Ask Tennessee or Northwestern.

For the fans who went to all three CMU basketball games and the football game, kudos to you. That’s school spirit.

We tend to lack that around here.