Online virtual tour, Timber Town playscape renovations among projects discussed at Mount Pleasant Parks and Recreation Commission meeting

cityofmtp

The ice might not have thawed from the community's door hinges, but officials are still discussing Isabella County's Chipp-A-Waters Park.

A new online virtual tour was highlighted among other projects at the Mount Pleasant Parks and Recreation Commission meeting at City Hall on Tuesday.

Chris Bundy, director of parks and public spaces, said the new online tour, called Access Adventure, is an interactive trial that can be downloaded from the parks and recreation area of the city of Mount Pleasant's website. By scanning quick response codes from the signs at the park, users are able to go on an online virtual trail featuring information about the park.

"You can go to the city's website under the parks and recreation department and you can listen to all of those interpretive recordings," Bundy said. "(It's) a pretty exciting project."

In addition to the online tour, the department discussed tentative plans to make changes to the Timber Town playscape at Island Park.

"We're looking at some options on reconstructing it or replacing it, so that's a project that would probably happen in 2015," Bundy said. "It's in the early stages right now."

A reconstruction plan was also discussed for the downtown Mount Pleasant cemetery as well.

Recreation Director Riaan Anthony said he is looking forward to a winter 5K run.

"The event's man is going to be Man vs. Mountain," Anthony said. "It's a winter challenge – (a) unique 5K obstacle course that will challenge participants to run, jump and crawl around strategically placed obstacles along the course. Save the date for Feb. 7, 2015."

Liz Busch will be the new Parks and Recreation commissioner starting next month. She will replace Bob Roberts, who served as chair for the Parks and Recreation Commission for two terms.

The Mount Pleasant Parks and Recreation Commission meeting minutes are available on the city of Mount Pleasant's website.