Baseball looks to fix inconsistencies in bullpen

Central Michigan baseball did not get off to the start it wanted, losing all four games at UNLV last weekend.

If the team wants to improve its record at Troy this weekend, it will need to have more consistency out of the bullpen and from its starting pitchers.

The Trojans are 3-1 and coming off an opening week that saw seven home runs, a .535 slugging percentage and .303 team batting average.

"We had inconsistency (in the bullpen)," said head coach Steve Jaksa following his team's sweep. "I thought a couple of guys would throw better than they did, I'm not going to get on specific names, but that is something we're going to work on in that bullpen."

Senior left-handed pitcher Kenton San Miguel and junior right-handed pitcher Tim Black were the only Chippewas to make multiple appearances last weekend, showcasing inconsistency.

San Miguel relieved junior ace Jordan Foley in the opening game and threw 1.1 innings. He allowed one hit and no runs while striking out two. In his second outing, San Miguel allowed an unearned run while giving up one hit and two walks.

San Miguel relieved Black in game four. Black hit the first batter he faced with a pitch, sending in a run.

In Black's first outing in game three against, he came in following CMU's eight-run seventh inning, giving the team an 8-7 lead. However, the lead did not last as Black allowed four runs – one earned – on four hits before an eighth inning where he took the Rebels down in order.

Junior closer Matt Trowbridge never got a chance for the save, but did make an appearance. He walked two batters and was replaced.

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Jimmy McNamara saw time last weekend, allowing three hits, a run, a walk and two doubles. Fellow sophomore right-hander Jason Gamble pitched 2.2 innings and allowed one walk, a hit and an unearned run.

"There were a few guys who threw well and (a) few guys that didn't," Jaksa said. "That's an area (that's) still a work in progress."

Combined, the bullpen went 0-1 last weekend with a 4.09 ERA, allowing 11 hits, 11 walks and six strikeouts.