Panhellenic executive board works to improve image of Greek Life

Those who serve on Central Michigan University's Panhellenic Executive Board come from various backgrounds within the Greek community, but they work toward a common goal. 

President Veronica Meadows said the executive board serves as an advocate for the Greek community on campus. Meadows communicates with the university the voice of the Greek community and works to maintain the best interests of that community.

"We are the e-board that oversees all the sororities on campus," said the Shelby Township senior. "We work with the university and as a liaison for each individual chapter." 

While she faces challenges as president, Meadows said she loves the experiences she has had during her term. The challenges she said she encounters are to be expected in any public job.

"In addition to being president, I'm a student and a human. You have to have a really thick skin," Meadows said. "There's always going to be people that don't agree with what you're doing, but I'm lucky to have an incredible support system behind me."

This semester, the council's biggest project was fall recruitment.

"Other issues just include communicating with chapters and making sure open communication is always maintained, and with the university as well," Roberts said.

Vice president Haleigh Roberts said she feels the work the executive board does works to disprove some misconceptions about the campus Greek community.

Roberts said by trying to improve communication and open a dialogue with the university, the executive board worked to improve the Greek image this year. 

"It's something we hope the new e-board maintains and continues to improve," Roberts said.

Roberts said as vice-president she is in charge of Greek bylaws, and making sure each sorority keeps up with their specific standards. 

"I love that my job allows me to get to know people outside of my specific chapter," she said. "My job is unique in that sense."

Lucie Sertich, Port Sanilac junior, serves as vice president of Community Relations for the council, and will also serve as the 2015 Panhellenic president. 

"It's so difficult for me to put into words why I'm so passionate about Greek life at CMU," she said. "I have grown so much as a person and as a leader. I also have been so fortunate to meet so many amazing people. Not only do I have an amazing chapter of my own, but I have a whole community of phenomenal men and women behind me."

Working to improve Greek Life's image on CMU's campus is one of Sertich's main goals for next semester.

"CMU Greeks are one of a kind," she said. "We are philanthropic, we are leaders, we are scholastic and we care about the greater community."

Meadows said she feels her job as president has taught her a great deal and prepared her for a future career. 

"It has made me learn how hard you have to work to be successful," she said. "It has made me learn how much passion you have to have. I've learned how to lead by example."