LiveWorkDetroit! highlights job opportunities in Detroit

Central Michigan University students gathered Wednesday night in Powers Hall ballroom to attend the third annual LiveWorkDetroit! roadshow.

The event, which brought Detroit based employers and companies to campus, gave attendees a chance to network with their representatives, pass on resumes and learn a little more about the city of Detroit.

Ian McCain, president of Pure Michigan Talent Connect, which organized the show, explained the roadshow was started as a way to raise awareness of the opportunities that working in Detroit brings.

“We wanted to bring Detroit to CMU,” said the St. Clair Shores senior, adding that the event is part of a larger goal of helping graduates find where they fit best within the state. “LiveWorkDetroit! is one of our key programs, but our goal now is for students to find a community in Michigan that best suits their tastes.”

The main speaker of the event was Jeanette Pierce, executive director of Detroit Experience Factory, which works to promote Detroit through eye-opening experiences.

She gave a presentation highlighting some specific areas of Detroit and offering some facts about the city that might be lesser known, clarifying that what makes Detroit great. She said it's the people.

“My favorite things about the city are the people and the opportunities,” she said, adding one of her favorite sayings. “Detroit is big enough to matter in the world but small enough for you to matter in it.”

Dennis Lafferty, Milford senior and vice president of Pure Michigan Talent Connect, explained that Pierce was chosen to speak to the crowd of more than 50 people because of her passion for Detroit.

“She’s done a lot of presentations about the city of Detroit and has a lot of passion for it,” he said.

After Pierce’s talk companies in attendance, including Target, Challenge Detroit, Team Detroit and Quicken Loans, gave short introductions of what their company is and what kind of employees they look for.

Students were encouraged to network and chat freely with the company representatives.

Lansing senior Adam Abbott said he chose to attend the event to network and gain resources in Detroit companies.

“As a young professional, I am looking for an area to thrive in business. Networking is a good way to find people and gain resources,” he said.

The main LiveWorkDetroit! event takes place Feb. 27 at the Majestic Theater in Detroit. It will offer employer networking with Detroit companies, an insider tour by Detroit Experience Factory and dinner and a panel discussion.

Those interested can register at weknowdetroit.com/lwd