Student Activity Center hosts Intramural floor hockey playoffs

2_im
A CMU student gets ready to defend his teams goal at the intramural floor hockey playoffs at the Sac on Thursday April 22.

Deerborn Heights senior Eric Kieszkowski has been playing intermural floor hockey for five years.

During that time, he has reached Central Michigan University’s IM semifinals three times and the finals once in his junior year with his fraternity Pi Kappa Phi.

“I would be willing to break a leg for an IM championship,” he said.

Kieszkowski moved one step closer to winning it all when he scored two goals for his team, 50 in ’07, who beat the Grey Team 6-3 to advance to the IM floor hockey semifinals Thursday night.

“We kept the puck in their zone a lot,” Kieszkowski said. “That meant we kept getting shots and they were not getting any shots. The game really came down to that.”

50 in ’07 got their name from a parody Twitter account of the professional hockey player Dany Heatley. 

“The account always tweets about his 50 goals in the 2007 season,” said Novi junior and 50 in ’07 goalie Zach Mohr. “We decided to pay a little homage and try to get a championship for him.”

The team did their namesake proud by scoring three goals in the opening period with two of those goals coming from Pinckney junior Mitchell Bona.

“It’s always good to get a lead early in the playoffs,” Mohr said. “The guys played a lot of good defense today. We scored a bunch of good goals. We just need to keep up that intensity and stay solid on the defensive zone.”

The Grey Team responded with a goal at the 7:05 mark, but was unable to stop the 50 in “07 attack. Kieszkowski netted his first goal of the game following a scramble in front of the crease, extending his team’s lead to 4-1.

Kieszkowski and Novi junior Alec Lemieux would add a pair of blue line goals to complete the 50 in ’07 offensive onslaught.

“The perimeter puck movement was the best part of our game today,” Mohr said. “They had a really good goalie. It was good we got out to that fast start. I let a couple of weak ones by me, but I won’t do that in our next game.”

With the win, 50 in ’07 moved on to play in the semifinals later that night. Kieszkowski was proud of his team’s efforts, but knew that his journey would be ending soon. He hoped it would it would end with a championship.

“This is my last chance at a championship,” Kieszkowski said. “I’ve been playing for so long, but this is my last chance. We are just going to go for it all.”