Rentschler hits four home runs, softball sweeps doubleheader with Ohio

img_4983
Senior second base, Chelsea DeLamielleure, right, does a handshake with teammate junior first base, Katelyn Rentschler, left, before the second inning against Ball State on March 29, at Margo Jonker Stadium. The chippewas fell short with a 14-7 loss in the first game against Ball State.

Sophomore first baseman Katelyn Rentschler hit four home runs Friday to lead the Central Michigan University softball team to a two-game series sweep against Ohio University.

The Chippewas (12-15, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) hit three home runs in a 8-1 win to open the series and hammered six home runs in game two as CMU battered Ohio 14-3 in five innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.

CMU started the first game well scoring four runs on four hits. Rentschler hit her first home run of the day off pitcher Sydney Compston to left field, setting the tone for the Chippewas.

The Chippewas would have another big inning in the top of the sixth. Three more hits, including a home run from freshman catcher Maison Kalina, would produce three more runs for CMU.

Sophomore pitcher Rachael Knapp had another strong outing, throwing a three-hit complete game and striking out six batters.

CMU would jump out to a quick start once again in the second game of the afternoon. Senior shortstop Trista Cox hit a home run to right centerfield to give the Chippewas an early 1-0 lead.

The game stayed tight at the end of the third inning with the Chippewas holding on to a 4-3 lead. CMU dominated the fourth innings, scoring nine runs to push their lead to 13-3.

The Chippewas recorded four extra-base hits, including three home runs, forcing the Bobcats to go through three pitchers in a single half inning.

On the other side of the ball, freshman pitcher Hanna Warren earned her second win of the season, allowing two earned runs and striking out five.

Rentschler led the Chippewas at the plate with five hits in eight at bats and driving in eight runs. Cox hit .500 on the afternoon and drove in four runs.

CMU recorded 11 extra base hits during the doubleheader and have scored more than seven runs in each of the team’s last four games. The Chippewas travel to Akron, Ohio tomorrow to take on the Zips at 2 p.m.