​Soccer still winless after being blanked on weekend road trip

img_0439edit

Sophomore defender Savannah Beetcher approaches a Michigan State defender in an exhibition game Aug. 13 at Bennett Field. The match ended in a 0-0 draw.

One goal was scored in Sunday's soccer match between Central Michigan University and Creighton. The Chippewas scored it, but the Blue Jays won the game.

Creighton's lone goal came 41 seconds before halftime in the 45th minute. It was on an own goal, which came off a header in front of the Chippewa net.

“When you give up an own goal right before halftime it makes the mountain very big,” said Head Coach Peter McGahey. “In the second half we hit the crossbar and found a couple of other good chances but just couldn’t push that first one in to get us over that edge.”

Despite the lack of goals, CMU (0-2-1) outshot Creighton (3-1) 15-14.

As a team, the Chippewas saw more chances in the attacking zone than in their previous overtime loss to Nebraska. A steady attack of 16 shots (seven on goal) kept Creighton’s defense on its heels.

Five corner kicks were given to CMU and were a result of its attacking zone aggressiveness, but none of the chances could find a way to the back of the net.

Despite falling behind both Creighton and Nebraska early in games over the weekend, the Chippewas never felt as if they were out of a game.

“Overall, I think the results haven’t been there but I think it’s been a trip with more positives than negatives for sure,” McGahey said.

Sunday’s game was a homecoming of sorts for senior midfielder Kaeyln Korte.

Korte, a native of Prior Lake, Minn., spent her freshman year of eligibility as a member of Creighton’s soccer team before transferring to CMU prior to the 2013 season.

“It’s always emotional to come back and play in a different way,” McGahey said. “I thought she handled the emotion and the challenges that go along with that in a positive and constructive way.”

In the shutout loss Sunday, Korte managed three shots, two of which were on goal. She played 71 minutes.

Making her second start of the season in net was freshman goalkeeper Zoie Reed. She made five saves and faced 16 shots from the Blue Jays.

“It was a hard weekend to make your debut, but I thought her distribution and her presence was a critical factor in both games,” McGahey said.

Friday night's game against Nebraska was another example of high effort with little results.

The Chippewas found themselves down 3-0 in the second half to the Cornhuskers and it looked as if they would be shut out.

Then they went on to score three goals in the final 17 minutes of regulation to tie the game and force overtime, eventually falling late in the second overtime period.

“The comeback speaks to the character and is a testament of the belief the players have in each other and that the team has collectively,” McGahey said. “It was a really enjoyable and exciting experience to be a part of.”

The team will remain on the road for their next match against Youngstown State at 7 p.m. on Friday.