Volleyball commits 24 attack errors, drops opening match

volleyball
Head Volleyball Coach Erik Olson motivates his team during their 3-1 over Eastern Michigan University on Sept. 25 in McGuirk Arena.

After a disappointing end to the 2014 season, Central Michigan University’s 2015 volleyball campaign didn’t open the way the Chippewas planned, with a 3-1 loss to Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne at the IPFW Invitational Friday.

Following a 25-17 loss in set three, CMU had a chance to tie the match in the fourth set leading 22-20, but three consecutive attack errors by the Chippewas gave the Mastodons new hope and a 23-22 lead.

IPFW finished with back-to-back kills to grab the fourth set 25-22 and the match, spoiling CMU’s hopes of a season-opening win.

Although IPFW nearly doubled CMU in service errors, the Chippewas’ 24 attack errors proved to be too much for the Maroon and Gold to withstand.

The Mastodons junior outside hitter Somer Johnson led all players with 21 kills.

IPFW stormed out to a 17-7 lead midway through the first set, forcing CMU to call a timeout. After the rough start, the Chippewas rallied to take a 29-28 lead. The Chippewas lead wouldn’t last long as the Mastodons staved off CMU’s comeback with a 3-0 charge to take the first set 31-29.

Tied at 16-16 halfway through the second set, the Chippewas finished the set on a 9-4 run to win the set 25-20 and even the match 1-1 led by Bueter, who tallied three kills during CMU’s late surge.

However, IPFW controlled the third set from start to finish, cruising to a 25-17 win and taking a 2-1 lead into the fourth set.

Bueter led CMU with 16 kills, followed by 12 kills from fellow sophomore Taylor Robertson and 11 from sophomore Jessica Meichtry.

The Chippewas look to bounce back Saturday against Eastern Illinois at 10:30 a.m.