Soccer falls in road match to Michigan

img_0413edit

Freshman forward Madison Pogarch dekes a defender Aug. 13 in an exhibition game against Michigan State.

Offensive opportunities came at a premium in Central Michigan University soccer's 3-1 loss against Michigan on Thursday.

CMU’s record drops to 1-3-1 overall. It was the second time in the past two weeks in which the Chippewas played a school from the Big Ten Conference.

The Wolverines scored in the 20th, 29th and 77th minute.

Ten Michigan players, including substitutes, attempted a shot and six of those players had double-digit shot opportunities.

The lone goal for the Chippewas came from junior midfielder and Ann Arbor native Eliza Van de Kerkhove. Scored in the 64th minute and the goal was de Kerkhove’s first of the season.

It was the eighth goal scored for CMU in 2015. CMU has been outscored by opponents by two goals per game so far in 2015.

Shooting was a glaring discrepancy in the loss, as the Wolverines outshot the Chippewas 24-4, with the lone shot on goal being the one scored by de Kerkhove.

Senior midfielder Kaelyn Korte had two of the four total shots attempted by CMU.

Despite allowing the three goals, freshman goalkeeper Zoie Reed made nine saves in the losing effort. She has made the start in net all but once in the regular season.

After playing its first five games away from Mount Pleasant to begin the season, CMU will return home for its next game.

The Chippewas will take on DePaul University at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 20. It will be the first of eight games at home in 2015.