Volleyball splits opening matches at Fresno State Invitational

volleyball_web
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer The Central Michigan University volleyball team held a team scrimmage Saturday afternoon at McGuirk Arena.

The start of the Fresno State Invitational started better than the previous two tournaments for Central Michigan University volleyball on Friday.

The Chippewas (3-5) went 1-1 on day one of the tournament, falling short of bringing their record to .500, and equaling their best start since the 2013-2014 campaign.

CMU took down California State University, Fullerton 3-2, before losing to Sacramento State 3-1. The Chippewas junior setter Kathia Sanchez left the match against Sacramento State after colliding with the volleyball post. The apparent injury didn’t appear to be serious, yet the Puerto Rico native did not return. She had 66 assists on the day.

CMU sophomore outside hitter Jordan Bueter finished the day with a team-high 31 kills, followed by 20 kills from fellow sophomore outside hitter Taylor Robertson.

CMU 3, CSUF 2 (25-12, 19-25, 25-23, 18-25, 15-11)

CMU edged out California State University, Fullerton in five sets earning its third win of the season. All three victories have come in five-set matches.

The Chippewas opened the final set with a 7-2 run led by two kills from Bueter, and two service errors by the Titans.

CSUF sophomore outside hitter Kyra Hill cut the Chippewas lead to 12-10, but a kill and a game-winning block by Sanchez shut the door on the Titans hopes of winning their first match of the season.

Sacramento State 3, CMU 1 (25-20, 14-25, 25-22, 26-24)

The Hornets overcame late deficits in both the third and the fourth set to squeak out the victory over the Chippewas.

After two attack errors from the Hornets, CMU led 24-23 in the fourth set with a chance to force a final set. Sacramento State rallied and went on a 3-0 fueled by back-to-back attack errors from CMU, sealing the win.

The Chippewas seemed to be on in control after dominating the second set and leading 9-6 early in the third set. However, momentum quickly switched following Sanchez’s exit, and the Hornets surged to their seventh victory of the season.

CMU looks to rebound Saturday against UC Riverside at 1 p.m.