Volleyball drops three of four at California trip

volleyball
Head Volleyball Coach Erik Olson motivates his team during their 3-1 over Eastern Michigan University on Sept. 25 in McGuirk Arena.

At one point this weekend, the Central Michigan volleyball team lost its starting setter. By the end of it all, they lost three matches.

The Chippewas went 1-3 at the Fresno State University Invite Friday and Saturday. After a victory against California State University Fullerton to open the tournament, they fell to Sacramento State University on Friday and were shut out by the University of California, Riverside and the host Bulldogs on Saturday.

It was a difficult weekend for Head Coach Erik Olson, who was without junior setter Kathia Sanchez for a match-and-a-half due to an apparent leg injury suffered against Sacramento State.

Friday Game One: CMU 3, CSUF 2 (25-12, 19-25, 25-23, 18-25, 15-11)

The Chippewas used five sets to down Cal State Fullerton, which has not won a match this season. CMU was led by senior middle blocker Angie White’s 15 kills while sophomore outside hitter Jordan Bueter added 14.

Senior middle blocker Kalle Mulford tallied 12 kills, freshman libero Jamison Wolffis totaled 18 digs and Sanchez tossed up 42 assists.

Friday Game Two: Sacramento State 3, CMU 1 (25-20, 14-25, 25-22, 26-24)

After the dropping set one, the Chippewas won set two with ease, but lost Sanchez to a leg injury after she collided with the volleyball post. She did not return and sat out the rest of the match and against UC Riverside.

CMU tied the Hornets at one and had an advantage in the third set, until two attack errors by the Chippewas gave Sacramento State the set and match lead.

The Chippewas led 9-6 in the fourth set when Sacramento State went on a run to win the set and match by two.

Bueter led CMU with 17 kills and sophomore outside hitter Taylor Robertson aided her with 12 kills. Freshman setter Marissa Grant replaced Sanchez and contributed 11 digs.

Saturday Game One: UC Riverside 3, CMU 0 (25-19, 26-24, 25-17)

The Chippewas, playing without Sanchez, were handed their second shutout of the season.

After dropping set one, CMU came out with a 5-0 run in the second set, but the Highlanders went on an 11-2 run to take an 11-7 lead.

The Chippewas came back to grasp a 24-21 lead in set two when UC Riverside stormed back with five unanswered points to give themselves the set win and a 2-0 advantage. The Highlanders took the third set to get their fourth win of the season.

Bueter and fellow sophomore outside hitter Jessica Meichtry led CMU with seven kills each, while Wolffis recorded 18 digs.

Saturday Game Two: Fresno State 3, CMU 0 (27-25, 25-19, 25-19)

The Chippewas returned Sanchez, who was able to play after sitting out the morning match, but were shutout for the second time on Saturday.

CMU and Fresno State went back and forth in set one, with the teams tied at 17, 21, 24 and 25. The Bulldogs battled back and executed against a group of diving Chippewas on the set point to take a 1-0 lead.

The Chippewas only trailed 19-17 in the second set, but Fresno State outscored CMU 6-2 to pull off the victory. The Bulldogs repeated their set two score in set three to complete CMU’s second sweep of the day.

Bueter and Meichtry had seven kills each.

CMU returns to McGuirk Arena next weekend to host the Chippewa Challenge. They open up the tournament at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 18 against the University of Evansville.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →