Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 3, San Jose State 0

dsc_0012

Central Michigan players celebrate a set win against San Jose State in volleyball action Saturday at McGuirk Arena. 

Central Michigan University’s volleyball team capture its first victory at home and fourth of the season defeating San Jose State 26-24, 25-23 and 25-20 Saturday at McGuirk Arena.

Recap:

The Chippewas controlled the third set from start to finish with key kills from senior Kalle Mulford, and sophomores Jordan Bueter and Jessica Meichtry. CMU jumped out to an 18-13 lead and never looked back. Mulford would end the match a kill right down the middle of the court.

It was a grind it out match from start to finish. There were numerous runs and answers to each run as both squads refused to go down easy.

CMU’s Taylor Robertson showcased her clutch play sealing both the first and the second set with back-to-back set winning kills.

The Chippewas trailed SJSU 21-20 in the second set, but rallied to tie the match at 23 all. Bueter’s kill put CMU on top 25-24, and Robertson put the finishing touches on the comeback victory for the Chippewas.

It was a back and forth affair in the first set as both teams traded points down the stretch. Robertson sealed the 26-24 victory for the Chippewas with a monster kill into the heart of the Spartans’ defense.

What it means:

CMU earned its first sweep of the season, snapping a four-game losing streak. The Chippewas won back-to-back sets for the first time since Sept. 11. CMU regained some confidence moving into its final match before Mid-American Conference play next weekend.

More importantly, the Chippewas were able to close out a match. CMU has had struggles early in the season finishing matches, but that was not the case for the Chippewas against the Spartans. The win gives CMU and Head Coach Erik Olson something to build on moving forward.

What’s next:

CMU takes on Nebraska-Omaha tonight at 7:30. The Chippewas fell to the Mavericks 3-1 in their opening match last season.