Volleyball wins back-to-back MAC games for first time since 2013, despite absence of head coach

img_7351_copy
Drew Shornak | Staff Photographer The team comes together to celebrate a point against Toledo at McGuirk Arena on Oct. 10.

It was a week of uncertainty off the court, but on the court, there was no sign of a distraction.

Central Michigan’s volleyball team found themselves without its head coach, Erik Olson, who was placed on paid administrative leave for undisclosed reasons last week.

It wasn’t a problem, as the Chippewas (8-11, 3-3 Mid-American Conference) took down Ball State (9-11, 3-3 MAC) on Friday, and then swept Toledo (3-16, 0-6 MAC) on Saturday.

“We took the adversity and ran with it,” said CMU senior middle blocker Angie White. “(Adversity) really empowers us, and we really just eat it up.”

CMU made quick work of the Ball State rolling to a 3-1 win, snapping a two-game losing streak and a four-game skid to the Cardinals.

Toledo’s fate was similar as the Chippewas dismantled the Rockets, sweeping UT thanks to an overall collective showing on the offensive side of the net.

“It was just an overall calm, steady, focused performance,” said CMU Assistant Coach Adam Rollman. “We did a good job staying steady. When they had a great moment, we just kept on going.”

It was a tough first set on Saturday, as Toledo led 23-22 late. However, CMU rallied and used two attack errors from the Rockets and a kill by sophomore outside hitter Jessica Meichtry to win the set 25-23, which propelled the Chippewas to the three-set victory.

Before this weekend’s sweep, CMU hadn’t captured back-to-back conference victories since 2013. Rollman said the Chippewas’ ability to adapt gave them the edge.

“We did a great job of adjusting,” he said. “The great ones adjust, and we’re doing a great job adjusting in match, everything, I love it.”

The obvious adjustment was playing without Olson, but White said the Chippewas weren’t nervous, but more excited to play this weekend.

“We’re just having a lot more fun,” she said. “We’re coming together, we’re more of a family and we’re just having a blast.”

CMU’s sophomore star outside hitter Jordan Bueter showcased her strong offensive skills as she led the team with 24 kills total this weekend. White had 16 kills and two solo blocks.

“Winning is always fun,” said Bueter. “We’ve been executing well this weekend, so I think that helped a lot.”

The Chippewas appeared to click in all phases of the game from offense to defense, dominating on the court much like the Chippewa Challenge. In both matches this weekend, CMU’s side out percentages and blocking totals were higher than its opponents.

“When one unit isn’t down in any type of way, we all function so well,” Bueter said. “Even if there are a couple throw-off plays, we all make up for it, so I think that really helps with the entire flow of things.”

White said playing without their coach and coming into the weekend as losers of three of their last four, the Chippewas have never gotten down on themselves.

“It may look like we were more confident because we were having so much more fun, but our confidence has been there this whole season,” she said.

As they await the future of Olson, the Chippewas take to the road next week with matches against teams on opposite sides of the conference standings.

CMU plays Miami (Ohio) next Thursday, and takes on Bowling Green State Friday, with both games starting at 7 p.m. The Redhawks 4-1 in the MAC, and the Falcons are 1-5 in conference play.

“We know what it feels like (sweeping a weekend),” White said. “We’re just going to keep building.”