Responding to Calvin Johnson retirement reports

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday that Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson is retiring.

According to Schefter, Johnson told a “close circle of friends” before the 2015 season that it would be his last year in the NFL. He reportedly told Jim Caldwell the day after the regular season ended.

Johnson had 731 receptions, 11,619 receiving yards and 83 receiving touchdowns in his nine-year career with the Lions. He caught a pass in all 135 games he played.

The Central Michigan Life sports desk responds to the report:

Taylor DesOrmeau

Calvin Johnson’s reported decision to retire marks the end of an era for the team in Honolulu Blue.

Just like Barry Sanders, Johnson finished his career playing high-caliber football. But even mediocrity for Calvin Johnson was a spectacle.

He will be missed and the Lions passing game will visually suffer. The whole offense, really. And the highlight reel.

Fans won’t be able to say, ‘Just throw it to Calvin!’ anymore. And while Golden Tate is a high-quality pass catcher, there is no replacing Calvin Johnson — no matter how hard they try or how many dollars they spend.

I understand his decision. The NFL is violent and ruthless. The Lions aren’t going to be the Super Bowl favorites next season. But if the reports are true, one of the greatest players to grace the NFL and certainly the Detroit Lions will be gone, leaving fans to ponder the everlasting question: ‘What could have been?’

Andrew Surma

Many fall Sundays, I sat in the living room of my family home "wasting" my day away, as my dad would put it, but he, myself and my older brother sat and watched. Another Sunday of watching "these bums" either get blown out from the start or blow it at the end. 

But every Sunday after church, we came back to watch, waiting to see if something amazing would happen, which was possible whenever No. 81 was on the field. My childhood fanship involves jumping up and down to a touchdown pass from Stafford to Johnson in the back of the end zone, late in the fourth after all the bad calls and classic "same old Lions" football. 

He's done playing and really has nothing to show for it besides individual records — no Super Bowls — but Calvin Johnson provided me with Sunday's of insane comebacks and heartbreaking loses and CJ always competed regardless. He made the game exciting and was at times simply amazing.     

Evan Sasiela

I am saddened that the great “Megatron” told the Detroit Lions he plans to retire, but it is not a shock.

Calvin Johnson has been the epitome of the Lions’ success since his arrival in 2007. He has guided the team to two playoff appearances and has been a class act on and off the field.

However, his body is deteriorating, and his lack of passion to play in Pro Bowls lead me to believe he has given up. With a delayed announcement that lasted about a month, I prepared for the worst.

I, and most Lions fans, will miss his catches against triple coverage and the connection between he and Matthew Stafford down the field. One thousand reception yards a season was not a goal for Megatron, it was an expectation.

The Lions have cut short another star’s career sooner than later, but in a franchise as mediocre as the Lions, it was a privilege to don my No. 81 jersey on Sundays and witness greatness.

Thank you, Megatron, for everything. You’re up, Golden Tate.

Von Lozon

It always hurts to see athletes like Calvin Johnson go so early in their careers. Former Lions running back Barry Sanders retired at the age of 30, and now Johnson does the same.

Even though it hurts now, this is ultimately the right move for Johnson to make at this point in his career. After being injured this past season and for several seasons in a row, Megatron has to hang up the cleats.

You can just tell when he’s on the field that football has really taken a toll on him, physically and emotionally. He’s made the money, he’s set the records, he’s adored by fans; what else could he possibly want besides a Super Bowl victory? It’s a sad day for Detroit sports fans, but the time had to come sooner or later.

It was a privilege to watch him play. Football Sunday’s will never be the same without him. Thank you, CJ.

Kullen Logsdon

No one wanted to believe it, but most knew it was coming.

The news of Calvin Johnson’s retirement is not surprising given the present physical condition of so many former NFL players. Calvin owes no apologies for walking away from the game as the fans should expect none.

Megatron has given the city of Detroit so many great years and so many memories. As the second pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, much was expected of Johnson, but he delivered so much more.

Calvin struck fear into opposing teams every time he stepped on the field. His height, speed, size and strength was something the NFL has never seen and might never see again.

In 2012, Johnson broke Jerry Rice’s all-time record for receiving yards in a season with 1,964. After he made the record-breaking catch, Johnson ran to the sideline and gave the football to his father. He never wanted the attention on himself, but on those close to him.

Johnson will forever be one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL and a legend of the city of Detroit. Thanks for the memories, Megatron. Canton awaits you.

Greg Wickliffe

Although we haven’t heard it from Calvin Johnson’s mouth that he is going to retire, but assuming he is going to hang it up, it’s a devastating blow to the Detroit Lions moving forward.

Megatron was more than just a nickname, it was a movement. Calvin revolutionized the wide receiver position with his tremendous size, speed and humble character.

Not only did Johnson change the way receivers are viewed, he also ignited a city and a fanbase that had nothing to cheer for after Barry Sanders retired. Regardless of how many years the Lions were below average or just plain terrible, the one thing Lions fan could count on was No. 81. He will always be remembered as one of the greatest not just in Lions or NFL history, but in all of sports.

Although he may be leaving Detroit, his next destination will undoubtedly be Canton, Ohio.