Week of events to take place to celebrate Earth Day

The Student Environment Alliance is hosting a week's worth of events to celebrate Earth Day from Tuesday, April 18 to Sunday, April 23.

On Monday, an Earth Week Information Table will be set up outside the Bovee University Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will also be a showing of "Racing Extinction," a documentary about humans role in extinction in Anspach 169 at 8 p.m.

On Tuesday, April 19, a community tabling event will be held outside of the UC from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. featuring information about how to protect the planet, a craft sale and a free t-shirt. From 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, an Interactive Discussion on Environmental Racism will take place in the French Auditorium with two guest speakers.

A “Help the Community Gardens,” event will take place from 3 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday by the intramural fields. Also on Wednesday, at 7 p.m. an informational event will take place with birds of prey in Pearce 128 with various species of eagles and owls. There will be a screening of Reel Paddling film, showing the Earth's natural water resources, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Park Library Auditorium.

SAE is hosting another showing of “Racing Extinction” at 8 p.m. on Wednesday in the Education Human Services building Room 213.

On Thursday, April 21, a documentary on dolphin exploitation will be screening named "The Cove," at 4:30 p.m. in Pearce 223. A panel will discuss Michigan's current environmental issues from 7 to 9 p.m. in French Auditorium, also on Thursday.

Friday, April 22, is Earth Day. Students who sign up on Orgsync will be able to plant trees in the Chippewa Nature Center from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

There will also be a Chip River cleanup on Friday from noon to 2 p.m. in Island Park. From 3 to 5 p.m. volunteers will have the chance to float down the river in kayaks while picking up litter.

An Open Mic Celebration for Earth week is taking place from 2 to 6 p.m. on Friday at Dreamer Coffee Shop. Mounted Town Brewery is also hosting an Earth Day Celebration from 7 p.m. to midnight with craft beer, trivia and live music.

SEA is hosting a camping trip in Grayling and a volunteer opportunity in Midland on Saturday and Sunday.

More information on Earth Week events can be found online.