Sports Weekend Recap: Sept. 23-25

Senior midfielder Maude Stalars, left, keeps the ball away from an offensive player during the game against Indiana University on Sunday, Sept. 25 at the Field Hockey Complex.

Soccer tops Western Michigan for first MAC win

After falling behind 1-0 against Western Michigan on Sunday, the Central Michigan soccer team scored two second-half goals to beat the Broncos and earn its first Mid-American Conference win of the season. Sophomore forward Alexis Pelafas scored the equalizer in the 60th minute and freshman Marle Bringard scored the game-winning goal 10 minutes later. 

Pelafas' goal gives her 10 this season, tying her for second nationally in total goals. Kristen Knutson got the win in goal for CMU.

The Chippewas (9-1-0, 1-1-0 MAC) host Miami (OH) at 6 p.m. Friday. 

Field Hockey drops to 1-8 after winless weekend, loses to Miami and Ohio

Central Michigan’s field hockey team continued to struggle over the weekend, losing its fourth and fifth consecutive matches.

CMU fell to Miami (OH) 6-0 on Friday and 6-1 to Indiana on Saturday.

Junior Emily Barber scored the Chippewas lone goal of the weekend and their first since Sept. 11.

Through nine games this season, the Chippewas have scored just five goals.

CMU will attempt to end its losing streak against MAC foe Ohio Friday, Sept. 30.

Women’s cross country places 26th at Roy Griak Invitational

Senior runner Kelly Schubert led the way for the Chippewas with a time of 23 minutes and four seconds, good for 70th place at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis.

CMU finished 26th at the invite with 654 points.

Sophomore Megan O’Neil finished with the second-fastest time for CMU, placing 86th with a time of 23:17.

The Chippewas return to action Friday, Oct. 7 at the Oakland Invitational.

Volleyball opens MAC play with back-to-back losses

Following a spirited effort in a 3-2 loss at Ball State on Friday, the Central Michigan volleyball team finished the opening weekend of MAC play 0-2 after a 3-0 loss to Toledo on Saturday.

"We came out flat in the beginning and we never really recovered from that," said head coach Mike Gawlik. "We had incredible fight the night before. We were all waiting for that push to get back in the match and I'm a little frustrated we never really found it."

Junior outside hitter Jordan Bueter ended the weekend with a team-high 31 kills. Freshman defensive specialist Megan Kern led the team in digs with 32.

After beginning the season with 14 consecutive road games, the Chippewas (6-8, 0-2 MAC) will play their first home match Friday against Northern Illinois (10-4, 2-0) at McGuirk Arena at 7 p.m.