Q&A: Nation's leading scorer talks soccer diet, downtime and more

soccer_3
Sophomore forward Alexis Pelafas battles a defender for the ball during the game against Oakland University on Sunday, Sept. 18 at the Soccer / Lacrosse Complex.

Central Michigan women's soccer's star sophomore forward Alexis Pelafas is leading the nation in goals scored with 15. She broke CMU's all-time single-season goals record on Sunday against Ohio with her 15th goal of the season. Central Michigan Life caught up with Pelafas as the team was traveling to Akron for its match with the Zips on Thursday. 

CM LIFE: When did you start playing soccer?

PELAFAS: I started playing when I was three or four or five years old. I played all the other sports but soccer was always my favorite. There's no doubt my favorite sport my whole life has been soccer. 

What do you do in your downtime?

With the little downtime I have, I hangout with my roommates or hangout with all the other athletes and spend some time with them.

What is your favorite sports team?

I'm a huge Chicago Blackhawks fan. I've watched every game so far this season. 

What is your soccer season diet?

Every morning before practice I have a smoothie and a yogurt. I have eggs and a bagel — and my parents take me to Tropical Smoothie before every home game.

What is your favorite TV show?

My favorite show is definitely Friday Night Lights.

Who do you model your game after?

I just play like me and I'm my own person, but my favorite player growing up was Mia Hamm. She was a big role model growing up. I love to watch Alex Morgan, the forward from the National Team. She scores a lot of goals and she's really inspiring, especially within the past few years.