COLUMN: A New Yorker's take on Trump's shocking victory in 2016

I’m originally from the Empire State.

Every time I went into the city to watch a Yankees game or see a show, I saw people like Donald Trump.

Consider what this type of person is like, this man who is now the President-elect of the United States of America.

These folks always wore Armani suits and talked loudly on their top-of-the-line iPhones. They usually weren’t walking city streets with us “peasants” for very long.

Those Wall Street clowns would slip into a spacious limousine and speed off to a high-rise on the Upper East Side.

I watched as New York’s wealthiest refused to throw a nickel to homeless vets as they traveled home to enjoy a cigar and a glass of expensive single-malt scotch.

That was what drove me away from the city. New York is home to some of the richest and poorest people on the planet.

Sadly, these two groups are virtually living on top of each other. It is a microcosm of one of America’s biggest problems.

Now, the poster child for New York’s wealth, assertiveness and superiority complex is the leader of the free world.

We all know “The Donald.”

Television shows, front row seats at Yankee Stadium and the hair.

Oh God, the hair.

Trump has something every successful and famous American needs: A brand. That is what has gotten him this far.

During his campaign, Trump’s inner New Yorker began to surface.

Trump is a racist xenophobic demagogue. Not all New Yorkers are. In fact, most New Yorkers are pretty compassionate people.

But Trump is America’s loudest bigot and soon to be Commander-in-Chief

His menace and anger stirred something so profound in such a large number of Americans it has won the prize he has coveted the most.

His supporters are the most fascinating aspect of a campaign that has ended in an unprecedented victory. Trump has found a way to relate to the uneducated farmer in Iowa as well as the wealthy banker in New Hampshire.

Disadvantaged white people who feel their rights have been infringed by big government now have their knight in shining armor.

He wields an unrelenting sword of vitriol and hateful rhetoric.

He takes shots at everyone, and does so with a crude, dismissive tone. He’s made references to Megyn Kelly’s bodily functions and referred to Hillary Clinton as a dog.

I’m a Republican. And I didn’t support Trump. He’s not the type of Republican I grew up idolizing.

But I get Donald. I really do.

He’s a New Yorker.

Sometimes we say things we don’t mean to get a rise out of people. Oftentimes, we catch flack for it.

Trump, like all of us, has a First Amendment right to say basically whatever he pleases about whomever he pleases.

And we now have a right to scrutinize his every move in the Oval Office, whether he wants to listen to the will of the American people or not.

That’s the other self-detonating quality most New Yorkers have. We’re horribly stubborn.

And Trump won’t be toned down or censored for the sake of political correctness. It’s only going to get worse from here now that he’s become one of the most powerful people on the planet.

I didn’t think Donald Trump would win this race. Nobody really did. But it happened.

The person who leads our nation into a brand new chapter is the candidate who could be the meanest.

And his America is the one we are left to live in.

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →