Women's basketball tops Utah Valley State 71-62

After a double-overtime victory over Oakland on Tuesday at McGuirk Arena, the Central Michigan women's basketball team carried the momentum to the West Coast with a 71-62 win against Utah Valley State to open the Cal Poly Tournament on Friday in San Luis Obispo, California. 

Other than one instance with less than five minutes left in the second quarter when the Wolverines tied the score 18-18, the Chippewas kept their lead through the entirety of the game.

Head Coach Sue Guevara recognized senior Jewel Cotton and junior Cassie Breen after Tuesday's win against Oakland as the most consistent players on her team. 

Breen — who scored a career-high 33 points Tuesday — finished with eight points and two boards Friday.

Cotton led the Chippewas with 16 points and nine rebounds. She made all seven of the shots she attempted and both of her two free throws. 

Sophomore forward Reyna Frost also added nine boards for CMU and finished with eight points. Sophomore guard Presley Hudson added 15 points and a team-high six assists. 

CMU is now 3-2 with one game left in pre-season tournament play. The Chippewas will return to action Saturday with a game against North Dakota State at 2 p.m.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →