EDITORIAL: Be safe, be merry

Happy holidays from our newsroom family to yours

Let’s face it: 2016 was a wild ride.

For better or worse, this year will go down as a truly momentous period in history, complete with great triumphs and moments of failure and loss. In this new American century, 2016 pushed our nation into uncharted and unexpected territory.

We at Central Michigan Life were proud to join you on that journey.

As the year comes to a close, we want to wish your family happy holidays from our family in the CM Life newsroom. For students returning to campus in 2017, we hope you have a restful break. For those graduating on Saturday, we wish you luck in your new lives as Central Michigan University alumni. It is time to show the world what it means to be a Chippewa.

Continue making us proud to bleed Maroon and Gold, and fire up forever.

It is our sincere hope that each of you takes time to recharge while spending precious hours with loved ones and friends. We also hope you take stock of the events that made 2016 special. With a new year on the horizon, it is more important than ever to stand ready to tackle whatever challenges lie ahead.

In this edition of CM Life, we recap the news stories that had the biggest impact on our campus community. Moments from our coverage of a hotly-contested presidential election from its fiery beginnings and bitter end. Events that brought our community together, and those that left us divided.

We remember those students who died, and mourn the deaths of cultural icons who enriched our lives. Throughout it all, the staff of CM Life remained committed to our mission as student media.

We will continue that mission with renewed vigor in 2017.

Remember that we work for you. We are your voice and your advocate. During break, follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with the stories that will affect you.

No matter what 2017 brings, we will stand vigilant on your behalf. You can help us do that by sharing your stories and letting us know when news happens on campus. You can join our reporting staff by applying at Moore Hall 436.

Help us create the kind of meaningful journalism that our audience deserves. Help us tell the kinds of stories that will shape your experiences at CMU.

Until then, be safe and stay curious. Winter break moves faster than you think. Get the most out of your time away from campus.