Rapid Reaction: Central Michigan 95, Loyola 57

dsc_0389

Freshman forward Gabrielle Bird decides where to pass the ball on Dec.1, 2016 at McGuirk Arena. 

After wrapping up the Cal Poly Tournament over Thanksgiving weekend, the Central Michigan women's basketball team returned home to McGuirk Arena, where four of its next five games will be played.

The Chippewas defeated the Loyola Ramblers 95-57 Tuesday and improved to 5-2 on the season. They have now won four games in a row. 95 points marks the highest total they've scored in a single game this season.

Hot Start

CMU started strong, specifically senior forward Jewel Cotton. She scored seven of the first 12 points for the Chippewas. They were up 12-2 at the first media timeout of the game.

The Chippewas continued that trend and ended the first quarter up 23-10 and the half up 46-23. 23 points in the first quarter is the second highest total this season for the Chippewas. CMU had 24 points in the first quarter against Furman earlier this season.

Hostile Environment

Twelve elementary and junior high schools from around the area were invited to cheer for the team for the annual Hoops for Hunger game. 

And cheer they did. 

The kids cheered from start to finish, creating a loud atmosphere in favor of the Chippewas. CMU fed off the intensity and energy from the crowd the entire game and put on a performance to remember for the kids. The 12 schools raised a combined 42,621 pounds of food for the Greater Lansing Food Bank.

Putting the Game Away

The Chippewas finished what they started in the first half and put the Ramblers away early in the second half. The deficit at the end of the third quarter was 36 points, and the Ramblers only had 40 points at that time.

Several Chippewas had double-digits in the point column. Sophomore guard Presley Hudson led the team with 29 points. Junior guard Cassie Breen had 14 points and senior forward Jewel Cotton had 15. 

Sophomore forward Reyna Frost continued to snag the rebounds for the team as she collected 15. She averaged 12 rebounds per game coming into this contest.

What's Next

The Chippewas return to McGuirk Arena Saturday at 1 p.m. to take on the University of Illinois at Chicago Flames.