Click here for COVID-19 updates affecting the campus community

Midweek Freak brings electronic music to Wayside Central

Wayside Central aimed to expand the electronic dance music scene in Mount Pleasant Thursday night with the premiere of the club's newest event, Midweek Freak.

Hundreds of people showed up to see Michigan-based DJs SL4M, Jestr, Stevlth featuring BLACKOUT, SKINZ and headliner Crowd CNTRL.

The concert was co-produced by Wayside Central owner John Hunter and Brandon Meiste. A senior from Hamilton, Meiste leads a group of Central Michigan University students passionate about promoting local hip-hop and electronic music to the CMU community.  

“I know the EDM scene is becoming huge and we’re really making an effort to bring the scene to Mount Pleasant,” Hunter said. “The goal is to have a collaboration of promoters and artists that work together to create an experience for the fans of EDM.”

The concert appealed to Illinois freshman Paul Dexter. A self-described introvert, Dexter had never visited Wayside Central and said it was an interesting night.

“I went because not only do I really like EDM and dancing to EDM, but I was also very curious about the venue,” he said. “The music certainly improved as the night progressed.”

Crowd CNTRL, a Western Michigan University senior whose real name is Chris Sullivant, is a Michigan-based artist who is on the rise, Hunter said.  

Sullivant has performed at events such as Life in Color, Haunted Fest KZoo and Up North Music Festival. He has been featured in lineups alongside artists Waka Flocka, Illenium, Slander and NIGHTMRE.  

Matthew McCauley, a promoter for Sullivant, said Crowd Cntrl is one of the fastest up-and-coming artists in the EDM scene.

“His goal is just to impact the world in a positive way with his music,” the WMU junior said.

Midweek Freak was a special night and will likely become a monthly event, Hunter said.

“What makes this event different is that it has such a local vibe,” he said. “Wayside is excited to give local artists a chance to display their talents with the CMU and surrounding community.”

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →