City awaits consideration of financial assistance after FEMA surveys flood damage

While it is still unclear if the city of Mount Pleasant or its residents will receive financial assistance, City Manager Nancy Ridley could not be more proud of the city and Isabella County for the efforts made while assessing damage caused by massive flooding last month.

"I can't say how proud I am of the work that everybody did," Ridley said. "I think our county partners and (city employees) did their best effort to make the best case possible for this community to be considered for that funding."

The initial assessment and damage estimate of at least $87 million in damages to Isabella County was released to Governor Rick Snyder June 28. During her presentation to the City Commission at its regular meeting Monday, Ridley said the process for the city to be considered for that funding could take up to 30 days.

"At this point in time, we are in the process of waiting to see what the government requests and then whether the federal government grants that request," she said.

Details on every loss and damage reported by both private and public owners and entities in Isabella County were recorded in a binder. The binder was packed with reams of paper, filled with pictures of damage, maps and key community impact summaries. 

City commissioners also approved the contract for the emergency curbside clean-up services, which were employed to collect flood-damaged items from Mount Pleasant residents on Saturday, July 1. 194 tons of flood-damaged materials were picked up during the clean-up.

Contracts costing over $10,000 typically need approval from city commissioners before being put into place, though the $46,000 contract for the clean-up was approved by Ridley as an emergency service.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →