Chippewa Challenge: Volleyball finishes 1-1 in day one

fans-1-of-1

Central Michigan University students support their volleyball team in McGuirk Arena on Sept. 8. 

Finishing 1-1 in day one of the Chippewa Challenge, the Central Michigan volleyball team pulled out a 3-2 win over Indiana State and fell 3-0 to Cleveland State. 

The Chippewas are now 6-2 on the season.

Surviving the Sycamores

Indiana State took the first two sets 29-27 and 25-18, respectively. Going into the 10-minute break between the second and third sets, the Chippewas rallied to win the next three sets 28-26, 25-22, and 15-12, respectively. 

Senior outside hitter Jordan Bueter rode the momentum from last weekend’s George Mason Invitational with a team-high of 30 kills. Bueter akso contributed 17 digs.

“The first two sets were not our best,” Bueter said. “Coming back from the locker room really sparked us (and) we brought back our game.”

Head coach Mike Gawlik was proud of the team’s effort to make adjustments on the fly.

“I was encouraged by our maturity to fight back,” Gawlik said. “Set three was 24-21 and we were down for match point. To have the poise and composure to respond to that shows how far we’ve come as a team.”

One advantage of playing at home is a crowd. The Central Michigan lacrosse team was out in the stands supporting its fellow student-athletes on the volleyball court.

“The Lacrosse team brought a lot of energy for us,” said Junior setter Marissa Grant. “That was what we needed to spark our energy back.” 

Victorious Vikings

The second game for the Chippewas started with another 2-0 deficit. CMU failed to climb out and dropped its second match of the season 3-0, with Cleveland State winning the first two sets sets 25-20, and taking the third 25-21.

Senior outside hitter Taylor Robertson led the Chippewas with 13 kills. 

“I was just trying to do my best — in a good situation or bad — to manage the ball the best I could,” Robertson said. “Marissa (Grant) and Grace (Butler) were putting up really good balls. We had good defensive touches. I thought it all strung together really well.”

Senior Jordan Bueter added 12 kills and a team leading eight digs.

Gawlik had high praise for Cleveland State, the defending Ohio Valley Conference Champions.

“The first half of all three sets I thought we were right with them,” said Gawlik. “Our trust at times broke down doing some of the little things they exposed. Good teams find a way to do that, hats off to Cleveland State.”

The Chippewas are back in action on Saturday at 5 p.m. against IUPUI in McGuirk Arena. The Chippewa Challenge continues at 2:30 with Cleveland State squaring off against Indiana State.