Pelafas' hat trick lifts soccer over Toledo, 5-0 for first MAC win

cmu-vs-toledo-99
Junior forward Lexi Pelafas strikes the ball into the back of the net for the second score of the match on Oct. 5 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Scoring for the Central Michigan soccer team was a struggle in the first four Mid-American Conference games as the Chippewas netted only two goals in that span. 

Junior forward Lexi Pelafas scored that many in just over 24 minutes and then some on Thursday night at the CMU Soccer Complex. 

Showcasing a long-awaited high-scoring offense, the Chippewas' earned their first conference victory as they defeated Toledo 5-0, with Pelafas picking up her second-career hat-trick.

"A lot of people are going to look at the score line tonight and say 'oh wow the score," said head coach Peter McGahey. "I think for me, its how we competed, how we played and the discipline the team showed."

With the win, CMU climbs to 6-4-3 overall and 1-2-2 in the conference. 

Pelafas began her scoring barrage early in the first half, scoring two goals in the opening 24 minutes. She completed the hat trick 12 minutes into the second half.

In addition to the spark Pelafas provided the Chippewas, freshman Sheila Magnan picked up her first career goal in the 67th minute. 

CMU's defense did its part as well, allowing four shots on the night, with only three on goal. 

Junior goalkeeper Zoie Reed picked up one save while redshirt freshman Morgan Britain earned her first two career saves after subbing in late.

"Zoie's leadership and playing off her line really steadied the game," McGahey said. "Our defensive shape and our defensive collective spirit was something I was really proud of."

What's Next

The Chippewas travel to Bowling Green (7-5, 2-3) on Sunday. The game starts at 1 p.m. 

"The first one in the MAC season is always special and important," McGahey said. "How we competed tonight is the momentum builder going forward.