Robertson and Bueter's performance not enough, volleyball falls 3-1

dsc-0619

Senior defensive specialist Courtney Hiltibran gets ready to receive the ball from the opponent at the CMU Volleyball game against Kent State on Oct. 7 at McGurik Arena. 

Seniors Jordan Bueter and Taylor Robertson on the Central Michigan volleyball team combined for 25 kills in a 3-1 loss to Miami (Ohio).

The Chippewas are now 10-9 with a 2-5 record in the Mid-American Conference. CMU has dropped five out of their last six matches. 

Miami took control early with a five-point lead. The Chippewas didn't surrender, finishing the set on an 8-3 run to take the opening set 25-23. Bueter contributed seven kills, while freshman setter Grace Butler registered six digs and 14 assists.

Set two proved to be an even matchup early with the score tied five times, but the Redhawks would end on a 10-2 run to take the second set 25-19. 

The Redhawks kept control in set three with multiple double-digit leads in a 25-13 victory in the third set.

Miami jumped to an early 7-2 lead, but CMU rallied to a 6-0 run to force a Redhawk timeout. Miami would then go on an 8-3 run, forcing a Chippewa timeout. Miami would ultimately take the fourth set 25-20.

“We know Miami is a perennial conference favorite,” said head coach Mike Gawlik. “We came out and executed our game plan, which we had to adjust. I don’t think we fought with the same energy in sets two, three and four.”

Robertson would finish with 11 kills, three digs and a block, while Bueter registered 14 digs and a team-high 14 kills. Sophomore Megan Kern led the team with 17 digs while contributing the team’s lone ace in the match.

Bueter feels there’s still room for improvement.

“I’m not impressed because we’re not winning with it,” Bueter said. “I feel I could do better, dig more balls, get more hits, serve (in-bounds) more.”

CMU is back in action tomorrow night at 7 p.m. against Bowling Green.

“We need a win,” Bueter said. “We’re capable of it. I think we can pull together and do it.”