Women's basketball defeats San Diego State in overtime

womens-basketball-vs-vandy117
Senior forward Tinara Moore drives to score 2 points against Vanderbilt on Nov. 14 at McGuirk Arena.

Senior Tinara Moore scored a season high of 27 points and 19 rebounds in a dramatic 85-76 overtime win over San Diego State on Friday at the annual Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, Bahamas.

The Chippewas' leading scorer and junior point guard Presley Hudson fouled out with 2:24 left in the fourth quarter. CMU trailed 73-71 with 12 seconds left in regulation when Micaela Kelly drained a mid-range jumper to force overtime.

CMU outscored the Aztecs 12-3 off 4-5 shooting from the field and 2-3 from beyond the arc in overtime. 

Despite the outcome, CMU continued to struggle to control the ball racking up 16 turnovers giving SDSU an opportunity to score 17 points off Chippewa miscues. 

“(Kelly) did a really nice job of reading her defense and was able to penetrate,” said head coach Sue Guevara. “We talked about finishing the play and she did that. We finished the play in regulation and that gave us another five minutes to get something done.”

CMU improves to 3-1 on the season with the win and move on to the championship game against Iowa State. It will be the third time this year that the Chippewas will face a Power Five Conference team. Tip against the Cyclones is at 6:45 p.m. Saturday.