Chippewas open MAC play with narrow victory over Eastern Michigan

34601_gymnasticsf
Junior All-Around Katy Clements celebrates after her performance on the balance beam during the Chippewas meet against Bowling Green University on Feb. 26 in McGuirk Arena.

Senior Katy Clements led the way for Central Michigan (2-0, 1-0 Mid-American Conference) by posting a 9.900 on the balance beam in a 194.525 to 194.225 victory over Eastern Michigan (0-2, 0-1 MAC) Saturday evening in Ypsilanti. 

A week after soundly defeating Illinois State by 4.775 points, CMU narrowly defeated the Eagles, squeaking out a 0.300-point victory thanks to strong performances on the beam and vault. 

The Chippewas started out on the bars where Junior Gianna Plaksa scored a 9.875 in a 48.825 team effort. Even though the team’s bars score was their best of the day, the Eagles outscored CMU in the event by scoring a 48.900.

Sophomore Denelle Pedrick scored a meet high 9.875 on the vault as CMU scored a 48.675 in the event, narrowing edging out EMU who scored a 48.575 in the event.

Head coach Jerry Reighard has expressed his confidence in the team’s talent on the floor exercise, but versus EMU it was the balance beam performance that decided the meet as CMU outscored the Eagles on the beam 48.800 to 48.225. 

Senior Macey Hilliker continued to impress the judges during floor exercises, scoring a meet high 9.875 in the event and leading CMU to a 48.225 score. Five of the six EMU floor exercise participants scored at least a 9.650 as the Eagles scored a 48.525 in the event.

Up next for CMU comes Western Michigan as the Broncos travel to Mount Pleasant at 2 p.m. on Jan. 20.