Six DIII hockey players named to MCHC First and Second Teams

mg-0140
Junior Forward Dalton Sutherland plays during the CMU v Northwood University game Jan 27 at Isabella County Events Arena

Six players from the Central Michigan Division III hockey team were selected for Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference honors after the first and second rounds of the MCHC tournament.

Senior defenseman James Gleason and junior forward Dalton Sutherland were selected as two of the six players on the MCHC Dream Team.

“You could see it coming,” said graduate forward Nathan Allgaier. “Dalton’s been putting up great numbers and Gleason’s a leader and good skater all around.”

Gleason, Sutherland, and senior goalie Riley Morgan were named to the Eastern Conference First Team. 

Gleason was named First Team East Conference defenseman in the 2015-2016 season, also. Sutherland was named to the Second Team East Conference last season along with former CMU defenseman Cody Ferris.

Three more Chippewas were named to the Second Team with senior forward Ryan Tyrer, graduate forward Nathan Allgaier, and sophomore defenseman Brennan Martin representing CMU.

Tyrer said. “It’s an accomplishment for me and I’m happy to receive it, but me and the team just want to go win the games ahead,” Tyrer said. 

Sutherland thought Tyrer, Allgaier, and Martin should have made the First Team. 

“The guys who got Second Team (honors) should’ve received First Team (honors) in my opinion,” he said. “It’s not up to us to decide the selections, but I think they shouldn’t of been 2nd team. They should be first team.”

CMU’s next matchup will be against Oakland College in the in the MCHC Frozen Four at 8:30 p.m. March 2 at Patterson Ice Arena in Grand Rapids.