Soccer signs seven recruits to 2018 class

dsc-8166

Women's Soccer celebrates win on Oct. 19 at the Soccer Complex. 

Eight new members of the Central Michigan women’s soccer team were announced by head coach Peter McGahey Feb. 7. 

The incoming freshmen are midfielder Katie Coleman, defender Kennedy Thurlow, defender Ciara Coneset, forward Alex Hébert, forward Olivia May, forward Abbi Morrell, and midfielder Chesney Wargo. 

“We’re excited to add this group of student-athletes to the Chippewa soccer family,” McGahey said in a press release. “They represent successful athletes on the field, successful students in the classroom, and most importantly, they’re people of high character – three pillars of our program.

“They fit our identity soccer-wise and we’re adding some impact potential. You have some very driven, motivated students and they all have experienced success, they all come from successful clubs, success high school programs.”

Of the eight players, seven will be incoming freshmen in the 2018 season for the Chippewas. Amanda Britain is joining her sister, redshirt freshman goalkeeper Morgan, as a transfer from Mount St. Mary’s as the eighth player joining CMU this fall. 

“Amanda is a player that we were very interested in in the recruiting process and we’re just very happy that she wanted to be closer to home and that she chose to join the Chippewa soccer family,” McGahey said. “She comes in as an experienced player; we’re certainly looking forward to her competitiveness, her experience, and to her making an immediate impact.”

All seven players of the 2018 class are from Midwestern or Canadian roots, as two are from Michigan, two are from Illinois, two are from Ontario and one in from Wisconsin. 

Hébert, an OFFSSA championship gold member in 2016, and Morrell, the Golden Boot winner at the 2017 National Club Championships, are the two members from Ontario, Canada. 

In the 2017 season, CMU graduated midfielder McKay Matheson, midfielder/forward Jamie Rademacher, midfielder/defender Savannah Beetcher, defender Lauren Sherry and midfielder/forward Meghan Sweeney. 

Along with eight players joining the team, McGahey will return his leading scorer, forward Lexi Pelafas. She logged 13 goals and two assists on 94 shots in 18 games last season. 

In 2017, the Chippewas owned an 8-8-3 (3-6-2 Mid-American Conference) record, missing the playoffs for the first time since 2014.