Women's basketball loses to Oregon in Sweet 16 round of NCAA Tournament


Junior guard Presley Hudson hugs senior guard Cassie Breen during the game against Oregon on March 24 at Spokane Arena.

Spokane, Washington — After a bad shooting performance, the Central Michigan women’s basketball team’s lost for the first time since mid-February in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament. 

The Oregon Ducks (33-4) overpowered Central Michigan (30-5) in all four quarters March 24 in Spokane Arena, resulting in a 83-69 Chippewa loss. 

Despite the loss, the team finished with a program-record 30 wins on the season. The Chippewas made their deepest run in the NCAA Tournament to date and were named MAC Tournament Champions in Cleveland.   

“I cannot tell you enough how proud I am of our team and the way we battled,” said CMU head coach Sue Guevara. “We just couldn’t get over the hump.”

Game Summary

Junior Reyna Frost was the first Chippewa on the scoreboard by hitting a 14-foot jump shot. 

With about six minutes left, CMU forward Frost swatted Oregon senior guard Lexi Bando in the paint. 

Kyra Bussell checked into the game for senior forward Tinara Moore with more than five minutes left in the first quarter. 

Before the first timeout, Oregon held a 10-4 lead. Following the first timeout, redshirt freshman guard Micaela Kelly hit two straight 3-pointers to keep CMU close. 

In the second quarter, 6-foot-4 Oregon forward Satou Sabally extended the Ducks’ lead to 13 points by converting an and-one. 

Kelly missed a breakaway layup with about a minute left in the first half. At the break, the Chippewas were down 40-25. 

CMU only shot 30 percent (11-of-37) from the field in the first half.  

Hudson came out of the first half with a 3-pointer and a layup off the glass, but the Chippewas struggled to slow Oregon’s offense. 

Senior guard Cassie Breen gave CMU some momentum in the third quarter when she converted an and-one attempt and hit a 3-pointer on the following possession. 

Kelly missed back-to-back free throws after being fouled while driving to the rim. The Chippewas allowed Oregon to rebuild their lead in the final minutes of the third quarter. 

Oregon led 66-48 at the end of the third quarter. 

Oregon kept scoring and built a 76-58 lead with five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. By this time, the Chippewas were unable to come back.