Baseball splits double-header, wins series over Toledo

brockman-baseball-3
Sophomore pitcher Zach Kohn throws against Kent State during the final game of the doubleheader on Keilitz Field on April 8.

While winter weather rocked the Mount Pleasant area, the Central Michigan baseball team found refuge in Westfield, Indiana, splitting a doubleheader against Toledo (12-20, 6-6 MAC).

Despite being able to play game one of the three game series in Toledo on Friday, weather forced Saturday's contest to be postponed to Sunday in an area less effected by the storm. The series was originally scheduled to be held in Mount Pleasant. 

With the 2-1 series win over the Rockets, CMU improves to 13-21-1 on the season and 7-5 in the Mid-American Conference. Currently, the Chippewas are tied for the third spot in the MAC baseball standings with Eastern Michigan (13-20, 7-5 MAC).

Game One: CMU 1, Toledo 13

After three straight starting pitching wins, junior right-hander Michael Brettell struggled in game one of the doubleheader. Pitching just 2.1 innings, Brettell allowed nine earned runs off eight hits with four strikeouts and falls to 4-4 on the year as a starter.

Offensively, CMU had opportunities but never capitalized. The Chippewas recorded eight hits but left eight on base, freshman Zavier Warren drove in the lone RBI and finished with two hits.

All but one Rocket starter recorded a hit in their 13-run effort, finishing with 19 hits as a team. Aside from the seventh and ninth inning, Toledo scored at least a run in each inning. It marked the tenth time this season CMU has allowed opponents to score in double digits. 

Game 2: CMU 3, Toledo 2

Sophomore left-hander Tyler Hankins got the start for CMU in game two and pitched seven innings, allowing the lone two Toledo runs and six hits. 

Closing out the win was senior right-hander Colton Bradley, pitching 1.1 innings and throwing one strikeout while being credited as winning pitcher. Along with freshman Brandon Reed's .2 innings on the mound, the CMU pitching staff in game two allowed no walks.

CMU got on the board early in game two, juniors Ty Rollin and Jason Sullivan each scored off an RBI single from junior Blake Cleveland and a Toledo throwing error. 

Toledo scored one in the top of the third and finally tied the game up at two runs in the seventh inning off three hits. Freshman Griffin Lockwood-Powell sealed the CMU victory in the bottom of the eighth with the go-ahead RBI double, driving Warren in. 

Both Lockwood-Powel and junior Jacob Crum lead the CMU offense with two hits each.

Next up:

CMU will have one day of rest before hosting Cornerstone at 3:05 p.m Tuesday at Theunissen Stadium.