Lacrosse dominates Howard, 19-3

rusco_lacrosse-1
The Central Michigan lacrosse team celebrates after a goal during the game on April 6 at the Lacrosse Complex.

After Central Michigan lacrosse failed to defeat Kennesaw State on a snowy Michigan day this past Saturday, the Chippewas took advantage of the elements against another team from the South. 

CMU (6-5) defeated Howard (1-6) in Mount Pleasant 19-3. 

“Go back and watch the Kennesaw State game, you get more frustrated the more you watch,” said Central Michigan head coach Sara Tisdale. “Today, it was all about execution.” 

The Chippewas were able to get their depth some much needed experience as they played 24 players including three different goalies.

Twelve different players scored for Central Michigan led by Tyra Prince with three goals. 

“This is a team sport,” Tisdale said. “Everyone who got time today has been grinding for us in scout team type work so to give them an opportunity to have time on the field and show us what they are capable of is really important.” 

Central Michigan dominated from the opening faceoff thanks to five goals from four different players early. Shannon Doyle scored two early goals while Jocelyne Lemay, Sydney Wright and Anna Schoonover scored one giving the Chippewas a 5-0 lead. 

Howard scored their first goal nearly 10 minutes into the game, but CMU would retain momentum by answering with five unanswered goals from Prince, Sarah Farley, Natalie Karlen and two from Jessica Schuchardt.

The Chippewas led the Bison 10-1 at halftime. 

Howard started the second half strong scoring the first two goals of the half. Natia Warren scored her second of the day before Jillian Jones scored her first to cut into the CMU lead. 

The junior captain Lemay scored her second goal of the afternoon ending any chance the Bison had of a comeback. 

After Lemay’s goal, Central Michigan outscored Howard 8-0 with goals from Karlen, Farley, Hannah Potter, Rachel Bould, Holly Billett and Maryn Hubiak while Prince added two goals giving her the hattrick. 

Four different Chippewas scored their first career goals. Farley scored her first in the first half while Bould, Billett and Hubiak scored their first goal in the second half. 

“That awesome,” Tisdale said. “They know how hard they work in practice and to get them that love in the box score is super important.” 

Central Michigan will return to action at noon on Sunday hosting Delaware State at the CMU Lacrosse Complex.