Greeks raise $100,000 for Women's Aid Shelter and Special Days Camps during annual Greek Week Mock Rock

dsc1123
Greek Life contestants participate in the annual Mock Rock on April 5 at McGuirk Arena.

"Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne may be a song of the past, but Mock Rock participants brought it back better than ever in order to raise $100,000 for Women's Aid Shelter and Special Days Camps for this year's Greek Week.

During Greek Week's annual Mock Rock, members of Greek Life were able to jam out to throwback songs and compete in a dance battle, followed by the announcement of the total donations raised by Greeks during Greek Week.

Greek Week is an annual event hosted by members of fraternity and sorority life that includes a service day, mock rock, athletic games and discounts for meals at businesses in the community. This year, teams were given a year out of the Billboard Top 100 charts as their theme. 

The years designated to each team guided their music choices for the performance. Routines included kick-lines, banners, tumbling, guy-girl partner work as well as the famous fraternity booty shake. The performances also often included items to promote both philanthropies, stemming from slogans to logos of both organizations.

Alpha Chi Omega and Sigma Pi included a strong message about the #TimesUp movement in the beginning of their routine, while Beta Theta Pi, Delta Zeta and Phi Beta Sigma included a party of the summer theme with their attire and song choice.

Alpha Sigma Phi, Phi Sigma Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta switched things up as well with a unique theme of a road-trip back to Mount Pleasant after graduation.

Although it is not mandatory for chapters in fraternity and sorority life to participate, many of them do in order to experience the events that create such strong bonds among members of the different organizations. 

President of Phi Mu Jacqueline Orjada said her team practiced for more than 24 hours in preparation for their routine. Although practice was long, she said she couldn't wait to show her skills along with her sorority and Phi Delta Theta on the court.

"Greek week is the best thing," Orjada said. "It's worth every penny to come out. It's worth the enthusiasm -- it's the environment, it's the fire. This is what we (mean) when we say 'Fire Up Chips.'"

Connor Haskins, member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, grooved to 2008 hits with Zeta Tau Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi this Thursday as well.

"You know in your heart that it's for a great cause," Haskins said. "You're also rocking your heart out on stage at the same time -- so it's the best of both worlds."

Members of Greek Life could be seen before the event chanting with their teams, which were made up of one sorority, fraternity as well as a multicultural chapter for some.

Judges this year included First Lady Elizabeth Ross, Head Football Coach John Bonamego, his wife Paulette, CMUPD Officer Laura Rico Martinez and local artist Bird Clarkson.

Teams performed in order of the year assigned, starting with Chi Phi and Sigma Sigma Sigma at 2001 and ending with Alpha Sigma Phi, Phi Sigma Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta at 2015.

Central Michigan University student Makiah Huebner said she came to support her roommates during this year's mock rock.

"I know that they've been working really hard," Huebner said. "I came last year, and it was my first one -- I'm excited to see the difference and how it all turns out."

Representatives spoke about the missions of their philanthropies and how the donations will provide aid to those being served through the organizations. Tammy Willis, a representative for Special Days Camps, also mentioned hosting a mock rock of their own at camp this summer.

Special Days Camps is an organization that provides camping experiences to children with cancer as well as their families.

Women's Aid Shelter seeks to heal, restore and empower women who have suffered from domestic and sexual abuse through shelter, treatment, education and social change.

Chi Phi and Sigma Sigma Sigma won Money wars, followed by runner-up Tau Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Gamma Rho.

Alpha Sigma Phi, Phi Sigma Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta won Mock Rock, while Beta Theta Pi, Delta Zeta and Phi Beta Sigma took second place. 

The overall winners of Greek Week were announced at the end of the event, as a cheerful Sigma Pi and Alpha Chi Omega took first. Tau Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Gamma Rho were just as delighted to take runner-up as well.