Baseball coach Jordan Bischel flattered to join Central Michigan University

Jordan Bischel was introduced as the Central Michigan baseball head coach on June 28 in the media room of the Kulhavi Events Center.

Central Michigan University has officially introduced Jordan Bischel as the new baseball head coach.

His contract was signed, sealed and delivered to CMU Associate Vice President and Director of Athletics Michael Alford on June 28.

Central Michigan Life first reported the news on June 27.

Bischel recognized the names of CMU greats Bill Theunissen, Dave Keilitz, Dean Kreiner and, of course, Steve Jaksa. 

"I couldn't be more excited to be here," said Bischel. "These are big shoes to fill. It's incredible to be a part of this.To know the coaches who were considered for this and to know I'm the right fit here is just an honor and really flattering. That is unbelievable. I'm going to work so hard to make those guys proud, and the guys who have played here, to make them proud."

The 37-year-old was introduced with his wife Kate and their one-year-old twins. Alford is excited to have Bischel in the dugout. 

Another top coach in contention for the position was Todd Butler from Wichita State. 

"It takes a special leader to sit in the dugout at Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium," Alford said. "We had strong interest from around the country for this position. Our search included finalists from some of the most well-known programs in the country. But we quickly gravitated towards Jordan, who impressed us every step of the way."

In four years at Northwood University in Midland, Bischel was 137-76. In the past two years, his team was 84-29 with two NCAA Division II Tournament showings and back-to-back Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships. 

The Timberwolves hit 51 home runs in Bischel's final season as head coach. He aims to bring the same hitting mentality to Mount Pleasant in the 2019 season. 

"We're going to have to drive the ball a little bit," Bischel said. "That's a big part of our philosophy. We're going to swing with some conviction. Hitting it out of the park is not really anything we talk about, but driving it and doing damage is."

Bischel is ready to continue the Maroon and Gold tradition, which has been rooted by many that came before him. 

"We're going to do the right thing," he said. "We're going to have good people who are good students, who care about each other, who care about CMU. That's where it's going to start.

"To play college baseball is a pretty special opportunity and these guys will understand that; but then to play college baseball at Central Michigan University, that's an extra-special opportunity and they're going to understand that. And the way we play is going to represent that. It is going to be an honor for those guys to put on that uniform."