Soccer can’t slow MAC leader Bowling Green

0f4a7378
Senior midfielder Shannon Magnan gets possession of the ball on Sept. 23 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Bowling Green topped Central Michigan 3-1 in a pivotal conference game Thursday night to remain undefeated in the MAC.  

CMU drops to 3-2 in the MAC and 5-8 overall, while BGSU improves to 5-0 in conference play and 7-3-2 overall. 

Pressure Early 

In the 19th minute, CMU goalkeeper Morgan Britain saved an athletic shot in front of net from MAC offensive player of the week, Erica Hubert.  Britain started the night strong, stopping the first three shots she faced. 

The first goal of the game came late in the 25th minute when Britain made an initial save but was unable to recover and stop the second shot from Hubert.  

An attack from Lexi Pelafas quickly formed the following possession as she ran down the right end of the field and delivered a strike on net that was saved by BGSU goalkeeper Kathleen Duwve.  CMU continued to pressure BGSU into the 27th minute by keeping the ball in BGSU’s defensive end but were unable to capitalize with a goal. 

BGSU went on to make it 2-0 in the 32nd minute when a long cross from Jennifer Reyes found Sophia Barnes who headed a goal.  

Missed Opportunities 

CMU had a chance to score off a set-piece shot from Abby Willerer in the 38th minute but the ball sailed just high.  Another opportunity presented itself for CMU late in the 43rd minute when a shot from Magnan traveled tightly over the crossbar.   

In the 48th minute, Hubert had a chance score a second goal.  Her shot bounced off the left post and teetered along the goal line.  In the end, CMU escaped unscathed. 

Hubert would eventually get her second goal of the game in the 53rd minute.  Duwve cleared the ball on a goal kick to Nikki Cox. Cox passed the ball on to Hubert who found the back of the net.  

The Chippewas would get their first and only goal of the match when Costner finished a well-placed pass from Pelafas.    

“I believe that we’re a frustrated team with how the game went tonight”, CMU coach Peter McGahey said.  “I think sometimes that’s where breakthroughs happen. That’s sometimes where people reach up with their efforts and refocus”.  

Stats and Facts 

BGSU had its way with Central Michigan’s defense, taking 17 shots with 11 on goal.  CMU had quality scoring chances but could only manage three shots on net from six shots.  The match had a total of 18 fouls, 10 were called on the Chippewas. No cards were issued. 

Duwve leads the MAC in save percentage and goals against average.   Hubert, who totaled 6 shots against CMU, leads the MAC in shots per game. 

What’s Next 

CMU will travel to Toledo at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 7 to take on the Rockets (7-5-1).