Soccer beats Western Michigan 3-2 in rivalry game

0f4a7677
Senior forward Lexi Pelafas moves the ball for a shot on goal on Sept. 23 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

Central Michigan soccer went on the road to Kalamazoo and topped their rival Western Michigan 3-2 in hostile territory.  

With the win, the Chippewas improved to 6-9 overall with a 4-3 MAC record while the Broncos fall to 10-5 overall and 4-3 in the MAC. 

How it Happened 

Lexi Pelafas took a pass from Shannon Magnan and tallied the first goal of the match in the 27th minute.  The strike ended her seven-game scoreless streak and increased her goal total on the season to seven. 

The lead didn’t last long. Broncos forward Grace Labadie promptly  tied the game 1-1 with a penalty kick goal in the 29th minute. Just ten minutes later, CMU would retake the lead courtesy of a header from Natalie Belisto in the 39th minute.  

The game would remain scoreless until WMU’s Bailey Korhorn tied  the game 2-2 in the 73rd minute.  But the back and forth theme would continue. A minute later, Magnan passed to Chesney Wargo who would score her first collegiate goal in the 74th minute.  It would end up being the game winner. 

“Chasney gets her first start, first goal, and beat Western,” CMU coach Peter McGahey said.

Stats

CMU managed to be efficient with their shots. The Chippewas only took six shots, but five were on goal.  WMU fired off 16 shots with only six on goal. 

An unusually high amount of yellow cards were issued — three to CMU and two to WMU.  Three of the cards would be raised between the 29th and 34th minute. Prior to the match, CMU had a total of five yellow cards the entire season.  

There were 23 fouls in the match, 13 were called on the Chippewas.   

What’s Next 

CMU will travel to DeKalb, Illinois to take on a struggling Northern Illinois squad. Prior to NIU’s game tonight versus Eastern Michigan, the Huskies were 1-13 overall and winless in the MAC.