Phi Sigma Phi fraternity permanently removed from campus

phisigmaphi

Phi Sigma Phi logo

Central Michigan University fraternity Phi Sigma Phi has been permanently removed off of campus as of Oct. 9, according to an email sent out by the university. 

"Today's action officially removes Phi Sigma Phi from CMU forever," the email stated.

The message warned students to avoid Phi Sigma Phi's gathering and events throughout the email, and cited significant safety concerns as a reason for the fraternity's removal. 

"The decision reflects multiple accusations of sexual misconduct, hazing, dangerous behaviors and this spring’s death of one of its members following a fraternity social event," the email stated. 

The fraternity was temporarily suspended Aug. 21 for violating the CMU Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities involving the alcohol policy, violations by Registered Student Organizations and violation of university regulations.

This is the fourth CMU Greek organization that has been suspended in the last year. 

The email stated if anyone, including alumni, are seeking support or wanting to discuss what they've seen or experienced regarding Phi Sigma Phi can contact these CMU resources: 

• Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity and Title IX coordinator, which investigates reports of sexual misconduct. (989) 774-3253; ocrie@cmich.edu
  • Office of Student Conduct, which investigates potential violations of the university's student code of conduct. (989) 774-1345; StudentConduct@cmich.edu
  • Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates (SAPA), which provides 24/7, confidential support and advocacy to those affected by sexual aggression. SAPA can be reached through a support line at (989) 774-6677 or email olive1bl@cmich.edu.
  • Counseling Center, where professional staff offer a range of services. (989) 774-3381; counsel@cmich.edu
  • CMU Police Department. (989)774-3081; police@cmich.edu