EDITORIAL: Basketball is important too, give them your support this semester

mens-basketball-jan-8-4
Senior guard Larry Austin dribbles around Akron defender Channel Banks on Jan. 8 in McGuirk Arena.

Every fall, the Central Michigan University community goes into "football season mode." Weekends become dedicated to tailgates and games, and just about everyone on campus knows how the team is doing that season. 

College football is a big part of campus culture, and it's a great fundamental part of it. However, there are other successful teams on campus that deserve our attention and support, like the CMU basketball teams.

Our men's and women's basketball teams both kicked off exciting seasons last semester.

The men's basketball team has won seven games in a row and had a perfect month in December. On Tuesday night, Larry Austin scored the game-winning two points in overtime against Akron. Men's basketball is No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference West Division. 

The women's basketball team is one of CMU's most successful and winningest teams in the university's history. In its 50th season, the team  finished with a program-high of 30 wins, in the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA tournament.

Women's basketball has already started 2019 off strong, dominating over Akron in their Mid-American Conference opener. 

Both of our basketball teams are made up of hard-working and dedicated student athletes who deserve our support just as those on the football team. 

This semester, take a break from studying, gather a few of your friends together and go support our Chippewas at one of the basketball games. 

Instead of complaining about how there is nothing to do during the winter in Mount Pleasant, take advantage of the games that you have easy access to as a student. 

Together, let's cheer on our basketball teams through another successful and exciting season. Fire up Chips!

Senior forward Reyna Frost gets ready to shoot a free throw on Jan. 5 in McGuirk Arena.