Having problems on campus? Here's where to find help.


Senior office specialist Angela Massaway, left, helps Evart junior Courtney Sheldon Aug. 15 in the Student Services Court at the University Center.

There's certain things that can't be avoided as a student on campus: You will come down with the flu during finals week, your FASFA application will get held up for some reason you can't figure out and, of course, you'll never find a good place to park.

If you're having a problem, there is an office here equipped and ready to help you. Here are some of the places you can go for help: 

  • Campus I.D. Office (989) 774-3484

When you lose your campus I.D., you can get a new one here.

  • Academic Advising (989) 774-7506

If you'd like to change your major or have questions about course requirements, the Academic Advising office is a good place to start.

  • Academic Assistance (989) 774-3465

If you're doing poorly in a class or need to develop study strategies, they can help you out. They can also help you explore classes in a major you might be interested in.

  • Student Activity Center (989) 774-3686

For working out, taking a swim, playing basketball or just having fun. There is even a bowling alley, for all of those awkward first dates.

  • Office of Student Activities and Involvement (989) 774-3017

With 400 student organizations on campus, there's one that's right for you. Joining a student group is a great way to get involved and meet other students.

  • IT Help Desk (989) 774-3662

Computer troubles when a big project is due? Give them a call.

  • Scholarships and Financial Aid (989) 774-3674

They can help you work out your FASFA troubles, and trust me, you will have FASFA troubles.

  • Student Health Services (989) 774-6599

If you're sick, they can help you get better. They also provide immunizations and free monthly STI testing. If you can't make an appointment at the clinic in Foust Hall, the Troutman Hall clinic accepts walk-in patients.

  • Counseling Center (989) 774-3381

One-on-one counseling, workshops and support groups are all available. Students can walk in without an appointment from 1-4 p.m. every Wednesday.

Of course, some students will face more serious problems. All new students participate in an orientation session with the Central Michigan University Police Department. It's important to feel safe on campus, and students should reach out to the CMUPD if they don't.

  • Campus Police (989) 774-3081

 Lt. Cameron Wassman said the department usually sees an uptick in crime the first few weeks of fall semester and the last few weeks of spring semester.  

"It is important for people to know where valuables are and to keep them locked up and protected, so they don’t run the risk of people taking them," Wassman said.

A good way to stay safe during the school year, Wassman said, is to remember three things: be responsible, obey the law and help those who need help.

“If they’ve drunk too much or if they’ve got some other stuff going on and they need some help from professional resources, get those people the help they need," he said

Other important resources include: 

  • Safe Rides (989) 774-4357

If you need to get somewhere on campus, Safe Rides can help you out. Free busses pick up and drop off students any day class is in session from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

  • Title IX Coordinator (989) 774-3253

Sexual assault is a serious issue. They're trained to listen and help.

  • Sexual Assault Peer Advocates (989) 774-2255

These student volunteers are trained to listen and available 24/7. All conversations with SAPA are completely confidential.