David Moore's starting status to 'be determined' with grad transfer Quinten Dormady healthy

centralmichiganfootballoct5-1-32

Central Michigan quarterback David Moore receives a snap against Eastern Michigan Oct. 5 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Following an injury to starter Quinten Dormady in the first quarter against Wisconsin in Week 2, the Central Michigan football team was put in David Moore's possession to lead, revitalize and bring to victory.

The junior quarterback has done that – twice.

Moore is 2-2 as a full-time starter, defeating Akron (45-24) and Eastern Michigan (42-16) while losing to the Miami Hurricanes (17-12) and Western Michigan (31-15). 

In the 2018 season, the combined quarterback efforts of Tony Poljan, Tommy Lazzaro and Austin Hergott delivered one win. It was against Maine, a Football Championship Subdivision opponent. 

During the week leading up to the victory over the Eagles on Oct. 5, Dormady returned to practice. He took reps with the second-team offense in warmups moments before the game at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

When asked about the status of Moore's starting job due to Dormady's return, first-year coach Jim McElwain didn't give a definitive answer as to which quarterback will start in the upcoming Oct. 12 game against New Mexico State.

"That'll be determined as we go," McElwain said. "In the meantime, it's good to have your guys get healthy."

While Moore still has another year of eligibility remaining, Dormady's college career is over after the 2019 season.

Dormady is 1-1 in games he has started, opening the season with a 38-21 win against FCS Albany before the Chippewas lost 61-0 to the Badgers in Madison.

The rare double graduate transfer from Tennessee and Houston has completed 32 of 49 passes for 321 yards and three touchdowns in two games. He has tossed just one interception.

Dormady sustained a knee injury against Wisconsin and was replaced by Moore.

"Quinten is back and hopefully he has a good week this week," McElwain said. "At the same time, we felt the need to have some answers at that position since it's so important."

Moore has completed 94 of 164 passes for 1,143 yards and five touchdowns. He's also rushed for one touchdown, as well. 

The transfer from Memphis and Garden City Community College has thrown four interceptions, two of which came against the Hurricanes. He lost the starting job to Dormady in fall camp. 

McElwain said Moore's leadership and ability to move the football are his top characteristics as a quarterback.

"He's got a quick release and can get the ball out of his hands," McElwain added. "He does a really good job on the inside seam drive throws. For us, having a guy available like that, we made sure we tried to recruit the heck out of him. I'm glad he came."

Moore has also been praised by McElwain for his ability to take "deep shots" down the field when called upon. He tossed an 80-yard touchdown strike to slot receiver Kalil Pimpleton as one of his two touchdowns in the 26-point victory against EMU.

"I think he's done a great job of studying what the opponent is giving him and taking advantage of that," McElwain said. "He scrambled a couple times, which was good to see, and he got to his second and third reads a couple times.

"He's playing well, and we just try to keep going."